Sofa buying

Dit find ick knorke!
Feierabend

Sofa buying

Post by Feierabend »

Hi, we're looking for sofas in what I'd loosely descibe as a traditional country style - squashy, high enough backs that support your head, upholstered in fabric not leather. We've looked at a couple of big furniture stores eg. Höffner but they have acres of contemporary style seating 'landscapes,' mostly leather, and mostly amazing uncomfortable.
Any suggestions for stores in or around Berlin?
Thanks!
Robinson100

Re: Sofa buying

Post by Robinson100 »

That´s a difficult one, Feierabend!
I guess you need to go around all of the furniture places until you find just what you are looking for....

I will be in the market for a new sofa very soon, and will most definitely not be buying one without having sat on it beforehand! Some are hard and uncomfortable, like riding on a bus, whilst others are the "sink in" type and you need a ladder to get back out of them again!!!

Good luck in your search, and please let us know where you end up buying from.
kiplette

Post by kiplette »

Ikea do the sort of thing you describe. You might find something there.

We usually pick up major furniture second hand off eg.kleinanzeigen. People do have nice furniture that they buy and then change their minds about/don't really use. Buying such furniture seems less wasteful than getting new. Our current sitting furniture includes wing back chairs which are super comfy and provide good head support - they came 24 years ago with a chesterfield sofa from a car salesman in Croydon who had already owned them for 10 years, apparently. Brilliant.

Hope you find something suitable. I agree those landscape seating things are awkward and not especially comfortable in general.
Feierabend

Post by Feierabend »

Thanks, yes, Ikea sofas can be very good. I haven't got round there yet.
Yes, you have to sit on them! The hardness of some is really unbelieveable. The only range that we both fell in love with in Höffner for the comfort factor was actually leather, and just the single chair with an electrically controlled recliner, was c. 7000€ :o !
Krieg

Post by Krieg »

Flamme Möbel. But a bit pricey.
Porta Möbel in Potsdam.
Feierabend

Post by Feierabend »

Thanks, am making a list to work through eventually!
john_b

Post by john_b »

I'm wracking my brain to remember which store we bought our current sofa back in Autumn 2015, I'm not sure if it was this place in Mitte

https://sofacompany.com/de-de/storelocator/berlin

I do recall they have a pretty impressive showroom with a wide range of sofas and fabrics
Feierabend

Post by Feierabend »

Thank you, added to list!
murphaph

Post by murphaph »

Maybe Rahaus in Kantstr.
Feierabend

Post by Feierabend »

Thank you.
dstanners

Post by dstanners »

Chesterfields all the way here, but I agree with Kiplette's comment about checking eBay Kleinanzeigen. There are some real bargains out there, and new stuffing/cushioning can be bought from fabric stores at whichever level of support/comfort you prefer.

Last year I picked up 10 antique oak dining chairs for 20 euros each. They look beautiful (to me) and will definitely last decades longer than any Ikea purchase or chain store MDF furniture.