What got you flummoxed today?

Anything that doesn't fit into the other subforums of Miscellaneous themes
Fraufruit

Re: What got you flummoxed today?

Post by Fraufruit »

But don't they keep up with where you've worked/lived over the years? Seems like they would.

As usual, I know nothing.
booksnthings

Post by booksnthings »

I'm flummoxed about something stupid that doesn't seem to warrant opening a whole new thread, so hope it's okay to post it here:

For self-filers who received wage replacement benefits in 2023, elterngeld in our case, when is the 2023 tax return supposed to be filed, July 31 or August 31? I read both online, got flummoxed, and gave up and came here. Been meaning to activate an account on here for a while now anyway, after the sad demise of the original TT.
hh-sailor

Post by hh-sailor »

No, the UK didn't have a central residence register, at least when I lived there.
To get a credit anywhere, I needed to show 3 different 'official' bills to prove I live at a certain address...eg a gas, phone and elec bill.

The idea of an identity card, or Anmeldung was definitely 'not British '
pappnase

Post by pappnase »

Stupid work shit.
What is the difference between "Ressort", "Fachbereich" and "Abteilung" and why are they different colours on the org chart?
warsteiner70

Post by warsteiner70 »

hh-sailor wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:56 am No, the UK didn't have a central residence register, at least when I lived there.
To get a credit anywhere, I needed to show 3 different 'official' bills to prove I live at a certain address...eg a gas, phone and elec bill.

The idea of an identity card, or Anmeldung was definitely 'not British '
Were you on the Electoral Register? That's about the only thing they have in the UK regarding 'tracking' where people lived but you didn't have to be on it unless you wanted to vote.

It's been easier to get credit if you are on the Electoral Register for a while but some people don't want to be on it as it meant that could be called for Jury duty. At least that's the way it used to be.
bethannbitt

Post by bethannbitt »

Fraufruit wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:39 pm But don't they keep up with where you've worked/lived over the years? Seems like they would.

As usual, I know nothing.
Seems to me they would just keep up with your contributions. But, who knows? In any case, thankfully I don’t need that kind of info to collect my US SS, which I began contributing to at age 10. :D
PandaMunich

Post by PandaMunich »

booksnthings wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:09 am For self-filers who received wage replacement benefits in 2023, elterngeld in our case, when is the 2023 tax return supposed to be filed, July 31 or August 31? I read both online, got flummoxed, and gave up and came here.
Neither, the German 2023 income tax return filing deadline for people who do not have a Steuerberater is September 2nd, 2024: https://www-steuertipps-de.translate.go ... r_pto=wapp
booksnthings

Post by booksnthings »

Thank you Panda! You save the day, as always.
dstanners

Post by dstanners »

Whilst walking my dog this morning, I believe I spotted a black stork. It was by itself as it flew along the river valley and perched on top of a tree stump only about 50 yards away from me.
My understanding was that whilst these might be commonplace in the former East German states, they didn't live around here - I'm only about 20 miles from Belgium as the crow (or the stork) flies.
I visited an optician when back in the UK the week before last, and was told my eyesight wasn't too bad. Could it really have been a black stork, or is there another stork-bird with a red beak and legs and white breast in these parts?
Franklan

Post by Franklan »

dstanners wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 12:08 pm Whilst walking my dog this morning, I believe I spotted a black stork. It was by itself as it flew along the river valley and perched on top of a tree stump only about 50 yards away from me.
My understanding was that whilst these might be commonplace in the former East German states, they didn't live around here - I'm only about 20 miles from Belgium as the crow (or the stork) flies.
I visited an optician when back in the UK the week before last, and was told my eyesight wasn't too bad. Could it really have been a black stork, or is there another stork-bird with a red beak and legs and white breast in these parts?
"In 2000 populations were estimated to 7 breeding pairs in Luxemburg, 30 in the Belgian Ardennes and 30 in the Cote d'Or Department of Burgundy. Their reappearance in the Ardennes has been attributed to the reafforestation and cleaning of streams and rivers. Also in Austria and Germany the populations has recovered since the 1970s."

Source: Web archive about stork reintroduction

You living in the Eifel, and the fact that the Belgian Ardennes are basically a geologically related transition of the Eifel onto Belgian territory makes me believe that you in fact have seen a black stork.
Last edited by Franklan on Sat Aug 17, 2024 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dstanners

Post by dstanners »

Thanks for that info Franklan. Yes, the Ardennes is close (in fact I was there yesterday) and quite similar, so that would make sense.
Franklan

Post by Franklan »

This advertisement and its placement...
knife-ad.jpg
knife-ad.jpg (195.9 KiB) Viewed 158 times
hh-sailor

Post by hh-sailor »

I also wonder if proof reading is now only done by AI.
snowingagain

Post by snowingagain »

OK, I have actually managed to post a photo here once. But have forgotten how. And the extensive and no doubt excellent instructions are flummoxing me. So, can you explain again? Sorry for being thick.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Save your picture.

Click on Add Reply

Click on Attachements and add file

Enter file attacment and place inline then hit submit.

That's how I do it.
editorL
Site Admin

Post by editorL »

snowingagain wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:15 pm OK, I have actually managed to post a photo here once. But have forgotten how. And the extensive and no doubt excellent instructions are flummoxing me. So, can you explain again? Sorry for being thick.
If Fraufruit's suggestion doesn't yield a result for you -> PM me, there is a potential for improvement concerning the "How do I..." section of this forum...