used car buying experience/advice

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisici elit
LeonG

Re: used car buying experience/advice

Post by LeonG »

Fraufruit wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:27 pm It's always helpful when members put their locations in their profiles for things like this.
Absolutely. The poster might be located in some village near the French border, from which I've heard you see more french cars on the road. Looking for a VW, you'll likely find most of them close to Wolfsburg where they are born, where all the VW staff are driving VW's and all the people believe they are the best cars in the world ;)
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

That's what I mean. Nobody wants to scroll and re-read every post hoping there is a location mentioned somewhere.
Sx4

Post by Sx4 »

Yes you are correct, I did write Berlin earlier.
editorL
Site Admin

Post by editorL »

Eric7 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:59 pm I was sure I'd read he/she was in Berlin but can't see it now...
The OP posted this in the "Berlin" section of the forum and I moved this thread at some point, as experience/advice concerning buying a used car in Germany is not limited to Berlin.
sam

Post by sam »

Sx4 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:29 am This summer we took three trips and renting a car with the insurance payments etc was super expensive.
Yeah the car hire companies lure you in with a cheap offer then when you turn up to the shop add fees for a second driver, for GPS, for extra insurance, for car seats...

The insurances you can get cheaper from other places especially if you get a yearly one. But the hire companies have you there and then.
Krieg

Post by Krieg »

Sx4 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:29 am This summer we took three trips and renting a car with the insurance payments etc was super expensive.
If you rent regularly it is much cheaper to buy excess insurance. It costs around 50-100 EUR a year and it will pay for the excess (Selbstbeteiligung) so you still take the insurance from the renting company but you take the cheaper insurance with higher excess. If you have an accident then your insurance will pay for your part. For the price of the insurance (i.e. 100 EUR a year for world wide coverage) just renting a few days a year will make it worth. Mine is with a company called "Car Assure" but I do not know how good it is because until now I never had to claim anything.