Deutsche Bahn bag size

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisici elit
Alberto

Deutsche Bahn bag size

Post by Alberto »

Short:
What's the exact rule, from Deutsche Bahn, if any existing, regarding the maximum size of bag that can be taken on a train without extra cost?

Long:
I sometimes travel by train, transporting my bicycle. Bicycle with wheels removed, all inside a bag. Of course overall the bag is much smaller than a bicycle. But bigger than most (all?) other bags. Done many times, in many different situation and never a problem. Never bothered to buy an extra Fahrradkarte, because I assumed the bicycle, disassembled and bagged, counted as a bag and not as a bicycle.

But now I got the first problem. DB controller demanded the Fahrradkarte, which I didn't have and I volunteered to buy there and then. He said "can't do it now, train too full, get out and board a later train".

I wouldn't mind too much having to pay slightly more for the Fahrradkarte every time. But I sometimes travel by train 1200km, 6 segments. So if I need a Fahrradkarte for the whole trip, as some trains/segments simply are not set for transporting bicycle, with or without Fahrradkarte, I could end up arriving at destination the following day (already happened when DB had a delay, no bike that time). Huge hassle.

I searched the DB website hoping to find exact info regarding maximum permitted bag size, but couldn't find a good answer. Only vague statement like "if it's smaller than bla bla you probably won't have problem", not very German.

People transport skiis, baby pram, Rollstuhle, music instrument, no need of an extra special ticket.

What's the max size I can take for a bag?

Thanks
john_b

Re: Deutsche Bahn bag size

Post by john_b »

I sympathise, I thought the whole point of collapsible bikes were they could be transported as a "bag" rather than requiring a Fahrradkarte as such. Maybe you just were unlucky to get a pernickety controller. :cry:
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

I don't think Alberto has a small, collapsable bike. I believe it is a large bike with the wheels removed.

We have 2 collapsables at our boat and they can fit into quite a small bag although we never did that. Just collapsed them and put in the cockpit when we left. We now have an extra storage room for such things.
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

Thanks for the reply and for the sympathy.
FF is right, my bike is not collapsable, so even with wheels (and seatpost, and handlebar) removed and bagged it's still some bigger than a folded bike. And no, fir the use I do I can't switch to a collapsable.

I would love to find a rule, from DB, saying exactly the biggest a bag can be and still count as a bag.
snowingagain

Post by snowingagain »

If you Google DB say max is 70 X 50 X 30 cm though you see bigger cases. On hugely overcrowded trains (disrupted summer service) I have see people with bigger cases refused boarding/asked to get out at next stop.
Franklan

Post by Franklan »

john_b wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:31 am Maybe you just were unlucky to get a pernickety controller.
The rules aren't very strict, but as soon as the safety and convinience of other passengers is harmed, things get funny...

There are shelves above the seats for the safe storage of luggage. So in my book, anything that is so large that it doesn't fit there, does not have the appropriate size to be considered luggage.

So, you want to get around paying for bike transportation by taking the wheels off, putting it in a bag and placing it in the corridor of the train?

Did you ever consider that other people paid for a ticket to safely and freely use those corridors without having to climb over your disguised-as-a-bag bicycle?

This thread is a classic example that most "what are my rights?" questions answer themself when you do the "what are other people's rights?" approach first.
snowingagain

Post by snowingagain »

snowingagain wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:07 pm If you Google DB say max is 70 X 50 X 30 cm though you see bigger cases. On hugely overcrowded trains (disrupted summer service) I have see people with bigger cases refused boarding/asked to get out at next stop.
BTW I think you are allowed up 2 or even 3. Anyway, here is the DB link

https://www.bahn.de/service/zug/gepaeck
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

Franklan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:18 pm The rules aren't very strict.
That's why there's a problem.
Franklan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:18 pm So in my book, anything that is so large that it doesn't fit there, does not have the appropriate size to be considered luggage.
Thanks for expressing your opinion. If this is the DB rule I just accept it without complaining.
Franklan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:18 pm So, you want to get around paying for bike transportation by taking the wheels off, putting it in a bag and placing it in the corridor of the train?
No.
The bicycle does fit in the large bag storage area at ground level, it doesn't protrude into in the corridor. People passing next to it do not even see it unless they watch carefully.
Franklan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:18 pm This thread is a classic example that most "what are my rights?" questions answer themself when you do the "what are other people's rights?" approach first.
Airlines do give exact dimension regarding bags that can be transported. Just saying.
Last edited by Alberto on Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

snowingagain wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:30 pm
snowingagain wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:07 pm If you Google DB say max is 70 X 50 X 30 cm though you see bigger cases. On hugely overcrowded trains (disrupted summer service) I have see people with bigger cases refused boarding/asked to get out at next stop.
BTW I think you are allowed up 2 or even 3. Anyway, here is the DB link

https://www.bahn.de/service/zug/gepaeck
Thanks for posting the link. I knew this already. It says:
Folgende Standardabmessungen wurden bei der Dimensionierung der Gepäckregale unterstellt und passen fast immer: 700 x 500 x 300 mm (Höhe x Breite x Tiefe).
I wouldn't have a problem if it said "larger than 70 x 50 x 30 are not allowed", but that's not what it says, it says "passen fast immer".
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

I wouldn't mind too much having to pay slightly more for the Fahrradkarte every time.
Your words, Alberto. Just do it.
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

Fraufruit wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:00 pm
I wouldn't mind too much having to pay slightly more for the Fahrradkarte every time.
Your words, Alberto. Just do it.
Paying an extra 15eur each trip is not the issue.
The issue is that as soon as a bicycle is a bicycle, and not a bag, the pool of suitable trains shrinks, and the duration of the trip could become even longer than the current 12-16hr, meaning spending a night on the way and arriving the following day. This is what I'd like to avoid, if at all possible.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Oh, I see. Thanks for explaining.
snowingagain

Post by snowingagain »

And of course a bike ticket does not guarantee you a bike place on trains where you cannot book. And NV can get crazy busy. Once for us there was absolutely no space for another couple of bikes, despite German ingenuity. 3 guys once got off for us as we had 2 small children. What nice guys.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Off topic - Is it just me or has that €49 ticket made trains a lot worse?
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

travelling with the ICE right now.
Here how my bicycle looks like, packed inside its own bag, nicely sitting in a normal luggage space.
Sure I'm not causing trouble to other passengers...
Attachments
IMG_20240819_093234_020.jpg
IMG_20240819_093234_020.jpg (3.7 MiB) Viewed 91 times
LukeSkywalker

Post by LukeSkywalker »

I don’t mind bicycles in a bag in a train, but people carrying cellos in ridiculous large cases on a train is another story 👻. They occupy an extra seat since it can’t be stored elsewhere.