Buying a bike ticket online

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisici elit
Feierabend

Buying a bike ticket online

Post by Feierabend »

I have the DB App and the € 49 ticket. There is no ticket machine at my station to buy a bike ticket. Wouldn't you think you could go to the App and buy a bike ticket? Silly me!
After hunting around, I eventually came across a YT video explaining how you do it. Only a couple of dozen steps needed, and make sure you know your login details, payment details (and probably your grandmother's dob to be on the safe side ...)
Could it possibly be more complicated?
Feierabend

Re: Buying a bike ticket online

Post by Feierabend »

OK, I've found it. You have to order it on your local transport network and go to the ticket selection there.
Was probably being dense ...
Franklan

Post by Franklan »

As you are not ...

DB1.jpg
DB1.jpg (147.99 KiB) Viewed 674 times

... booking a "travel" or "journey" from A to B, but just need a ticket, you have to scroll down to "Tickets & Angebote", and swipe to "Regionale Angebote"...

DB2.jpg
DB2.jpg (154.86 KiB) Viewed 674 times

... and select that.

What comes next is ...

DB3.jpg
DB3.jpg (204.95 KiB) Viewed 674 times

... and selecting that gives you...

db4.jpg
db4.jpg (234.16 KiB) Viewed 673 times
... and selecting "Jetzt auswählen" gives you ...

db5.jpg
db5.jpg (225.8 KiB) Viewed 673 times

... the possibility to select the date and finally order it...

db6.jpg
db6.jpg (140.56 KiB) Viewed 673 times

... after selecting the payment method and selecting "Jetzt kaufen".
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

Many times I've removed the wheels, put them side to the frame, and put the whole into a bicycle carrier bag (cheap and cheerful, does the job just right, cost like 30€ online).
Done it many many times travelling by IC from Hamburg to Trento, 12hr. Super comfortable. Never a problem.
This way, since the bicycle now counts as a "bag", no longer as a bag, you ensure a) can always take the bicycle with you, not only on designated train, and b) bicycle ticket no longer required
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

Screenshot_20240616-213940.png
Screenshot_20240616-213940.png (240.5 KiB) Viewed 658 times
Works for every bicycle, not only for folding ones.
The bag itself can be folded, it occupy very little space.
Dismounting or remounting the wheels takes like 5min each time.
kaffeemitmilch

Post by kaffeemitmilch »

Alberto wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:37 pm Many times I've removed the wheels, put them side to the frame, and put the whole into a bicycle carrier bag (cheap and cheerful, does the job just right, cost like 30€ online).
Done it many many times travelling by IC from Hamburg to Trento, 12hr. Super comfortable. Never a problem.
This way, since the bicycle now counts as a "bag", no longer as a bag, you ensure a) can always take the bicycle with you, not only on designated train, and b) bicycle ticket no longer required
Do you leave the handlebars the way they are or loosen them and turn them 90 degrees? Imagine if everyone did this, though! They whole train will be full of big, black bags. Haha.

So when we were trying to take bikes on the RE the lady at the station said you only need a ticket for EC, IC and ICE. RE, RB, etc. don't care, UNLESS it's super crowded or something. Is this correct? We didn't bother and didn't face any issues.
silty2

Post by silty2 »

Twice in the past week I had to re-learn how to buy a bike ticket online, because you just can't see it first off.
We have the Deutschlandticket and were going on a longer trip, so I needed the Fahrrad ticket that's good for the whole country - never mind that some checkers don't bother asking for it, or that if they do, they don't ask for your ID, but anyway... it is incredibly complicated.

Open DB App.

Go to Profile, log in if you want.

Go to Frequently Asked Questions

In the box at top type in Fahrradkarte

You get 88 results.

If you have the Deutschlandticket, click third one down for Nahverkehr

Next page it will tell you the price (as of this writing €6,50.)

If you want it: Jetzt auswählen

IMPORTANT! Gültigkeitsbeginn defaults to today's date. Make sure you have the correct date if buying in advance.

Next page you are asked if you want to log in or not.

At some point you are also asked it it's for you or someone else.

If you've managed to get this far with your nose in the app as the train you wanted to take leaves the station because something that should have taken one minute took 15...
...then the only hoops left to jump through are those to pay for it, and since there are so many ways to do that, no bother to explain

Happy riding, like on ours yesterday in a full train from Berlin Zoo Garten to Schwerin Süd, sitting on a fold-down seat next to a huge tub of lard sucking back one noonday half-litre bottle of lager after another while the conductor literally stood two meters away by the door in full view, saying nothing.
snowingagain

Post by snowingagain »

kaffeemitmilch wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:45 am
So when we were trying to take bikes on the RE the lady at the station said you only need a ticket for EC, IC and ICE. RE, RB, etc. don't care, UNLESS it's super crowded or something. Is this correct? We didn't bother and didn't face any issues.
For Nahverkehr you do not always need a bike ticket (especially weekends, holidays) but there are often restrictions on workdays. The rules vary quite a lot between and even within different states, so you need to check.

https://www.fr.de/verbraucher/49-euro-t ... uro%20gibt.
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

kaffeemitmilch wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:45 am Do you leave the handlebars the way they are or loosen them and turn them 90 degrees?
I do not loosen the handlebar because it's not needed. I just turn it 90deg. But the bicycle I normally transport is a road bike, so the drop-down handlebar are narrower. If I was transporting a bicycle with larger handlebar perhaps I would dismount them, but that's a job that take maximum 2min.