Finally accepting an offered seat on the tram

Dit find ick knorke!
colincostello

Finally accepting an offered seat on the tram

Post by colincostello »

It finally happened. I accepted an offered seat on the tram. I had for years fought against this, seeing it as an insult to my manhood. I had been down the gym and had put in an extra 10 minutes on the running machine, thus making a total of 11 minutes. Then a long sauna. So I was really tired on the tram back. I was resting against the tram door when a kindly young woman offered me her seat. I took it instantly. I sat down with a low groan of satisfaction and relief.
I have just started wearing glases as well.
Is this the beginning of the end?
Sannerl

Re: Finally accepting an offered seat on the tram

Post by Sannerl »

colincostello wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:40 am It finally happened. I accepted an offered seat on the tram. I had for years fought against this, seeing it as an insult to my manhood. I had been down the gym and had put in an extra 10 minutes on the running machine, thus making a total of 11 minutes. Then a long sauna. So I was really tired on the tram back. I was resting against the tram door when a kindly young woman offered me her seat. I took it instantly. I sat down with a low groan of satisfaction and relief.
"Please offer your seat to those who need it more" at the moment... that's what public transport suggests.
You've been paid forward to. Just return the favor and all balances out.
yesterday

Post by yesterday »

Cannot agree more

Give when u can and accept, when u need it helps us all
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

I've noticed over the last year or so that only young ladies offer me their seats. Never young men. Of course, most are staring at their phones and totally unaware of their surroundings.

Anyway, good on you for opening your arms and receiving thereby giving someone else the gift of giving. That's what it's all about.
alma.freya

Post by alma.freya »

colincostello wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:40 am seeing it as an insult to my manhood
Sitting down and seeing clearly...

I have spoken to the Council of Manly Men and it has been agreed you will be deducted 10 man points for these breaches of manliness.

You can not appeal this decision; appeals are unmanly.
colincostello

Post by colincostello »

But what happens if I die alone in my flat? And no one knows? You read about bodies not being discovered for months and sometimes years. Imagine the smell. Some might say it would be an improvement.
I will not grow old gracefully.
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

colincostello wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:40 am Is this the beginning of the end?
Yes. I still haven't been offered a seat but not too long ago I dropped something on the street and a teenage boy swooped in to pick it up for me. Welcome to the club of old age.
kiplette

Post by kiplette »

https://www.scottishpoetrylibrary.org.uk/poem/warning/

I would just post the text, but it is her copywrite property, so that seems a bit rude.
Sannerl

Post by Sannerl »

LeonG wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:49 am
colincostello wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:40 am Is this the beginning of the end?
Yes. I still haven't been offered a seat but not too long ago I dropped something on the street and a teenage boy swooped in to pick it up for me. Welcome to the club of old age.
Or young people having some manners.
Franklan

Post by Franklan »

colincostello wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:13 am But what happens if I die alone in my flat? And no one knows? You read about bodies not being discovered for months and sometimes years. Imagine the smell. Some might say it would be an improvement.
I will not grow old gracefully.
Is that a "burdening" thought for you at the moment?
Last edited by Franklan on Mon May 27, 2024 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franklan

Post by Franklan »

LeonG wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:49 am Welcome to the club of old age.
Getting the free "Scheibe Schinkenwurst" at the butcher is a thing of the past, for sure.
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

Franklan wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:56 pm
LeonG wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:49 am Welcome to the club of old age.
Getting the free "Scheibe Schinkenwurst" at the butcher is a thing of the past, for sure.
I did not know that was ever a thing but if you say so, I might try and ask :)
Franklan

Post by Franklan »

LeonG wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:11 pm I did not know that was ever a thing but if you say so, I might try and ask :)
It is/was normal in Germany for children to get a free slice of Schinkenwurst when they go shopping with mom/dad at the butcher. This stops at some point, usually around the time when hair starts to grow in places where there wasn't any before.
AlexTr

Post by AlexTr »

On our vacation in Italy last year, a young man offered his seat to my wife, which she politely declined. The two of us and our friend made him feel like a hero in front of his girlfriend, going on and on about how such a young man is a treasure and how good his mother must be (Italy, after all). It was sweet. The kid just grinned ear to ear, and my wife recovered her ego quickly. Be glad such people exist and that the world still has kindness.
Last edited by AlexTr on Thu May 30, 2024 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Franklan wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:18 pm
LeonG wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:11 pm I did not know that was ever a thing but if you say so, I might try and ask :)
It is/was normal in Germany for children to get a free slice of Schinkenwurst when they go shopping with mom/dad at the butcher. This stops at some point, usually around the time when hair starts to grow in places where there wasn't any before.
I remember and they used to call it Kinderwurst.
HEM

Post by HEM »

Franklan wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:18 pm It is/was normal in Germany for children to get a free slice of Schinkenwurst when they go shopping with mom/dad at the butcher. This stops at some point, usually around the time when hair starts to grow in places where there wasn't any before.
Up 'ere kids often get what I believe is called a "Domwurst" at EDEKA or similar.
HEM

Post by HEM »

One has to accept that the human TBO is around 40 years.

Its like with a car - after some time one needs new parts - I need a new wheel bearing (arthritus in the right hip).
Means after I fly a visitor I can get out of the glider OK but someone else has to walk the plane back
whilst I drive the car towing it!

Now I recall a guy in Scotland (Deeside gliding club) who flew visitors & needed crutches when walking.
I'm not that bad yet...
colincostello

Post by colincostello »

Its now happened twice in one day! I had someone offer me their seat on my first tram and then someone did the same on a second tram. Is my decline that bad?
I checked my face in the mirror and saw 2 large bags under my eyes. So large that EasyJet might well charge me for them next time I fly.
Oh well.
dstanners

Post by dstanners »

On the upside, once you get to the airport someone might give you a hand with your luggage and transport you to the gate in one of those electric vehicles.
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

colincostello wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:48 am Its now happened twice in one day! I had someone offer me their seat on my first tram and then someone did the same on a second tram. Is my decline that bad?
I checked my face in the mirror and saw 2 large bags under my eyes. So large that EasyJet might well charge me for them next time I fly.
Oh well.
You could wear sunglasses but then they may think you are blind