Eurosport

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisici elit
Alberto

Eurosport

Post by Alberto »

Is it true that Eurosport / Discovery+ costs 3,99/month, or 39,99/jahr? or there's some hidden catch? Seems too low to be true. DAZN is almost x10 more expensive.

I understand there's probably no Bundesliga, fine with that, and maybe not even Champions League, pity but still ok.

I love following professional cycling races.

BTW, what sport do you guys follow?
Fraufruit

Re: Eurosport

Post by Fraufruit »

I follow PGA golf and some DP. I hate LIV but do bet on it occasionally. Pretty easy to pick the best players from their small field.

I'm watching The Player Championship right now from Florida with a VPN on Peacock.com. I also get ESPN+ with a VPN. They do the earlier coverage.

That 3,99 price sounds very reasonable.
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

That is what it says on the eurosport website so it must be true. I don't follow any sport, actually watch very little TV. I see that right now, Eurosport 1 is open on joyn.de and they just finished a skiing+shooting competition. Some dude riding a bike right now
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

I also watch very little TV. I might binge something on Netflix once a month or watch a movie on Netfix, Paramount, HBO Max, etc. once or twice a month.

Golf - 4 days each weekend during the season. Not every minute but enough to keep up with my bets. I consider it my weekend entertainment. Small bets, cheaper than going out and exciting for me.

I know, sad.

I do not watch cricket. :lol:
alma.freya

Post by alma.freya »

No catch. It's just cheap because it isn't showing the big money sports.

I use it to watch snooker, the Tour de France (hoping for a Cav stage win this year), some of the spring classics, and I think they also show the Olympics which I'll have on permanently for 2 weeks.
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

alma.freya wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:03 pm No catch. It's just cheap because it isn't showing the big money sports.
Makes sense.
I like very much watching the best footballers playing. But paying 30 eur/month for watching those young millionaires no thanks, nothing against them or the market logic but I'm too cheap.
And I like watching cycling so much more.
Thanks a lot.
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

alma.freya wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:03 pm No catch. It's just cheap because it isn't showing the big money sports.

I use it to watch snooker, the Tour de France (hoping for a Cav stage win this year), some of the spring classics, and I think they also show the Olympics which I'll have on permanently for 2 weeks.
As much as I like watching cycling, time competes with all the other activities I want and must do. So hours for watching sport, either weekend or weekdays, I'm afraid I will never have.

Deswegen, question:
does Eurosport (or Discovery+, whatever) also have very good highlights of the big cycling races like the spring classics and gran tours stages? Like, 30min to watch quietly in the evening?
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Thinking out loud - maybe you can find highlights on youtube.
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

Fraufruit wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:57 pm Thinking out loud - maybe you can find highlights on youtube.
Good thinking, but no. The cycling highlights you can find on youtube are very short, like 3-5min max. For this short, they're as good as they can be. But I know there exist 30min highlights, which are much better, I use to watch them long ago in the UK.
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

If you look at https://www.eurosport.de/watch/radsport/ you can see what they have available which seem to be about 50 minutes.
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

Ok, I got an answer to my question on cycling highlights from somewhere else (guess what, from a cycling forum), and they say NO, discovery+ doesn't have cycling races highlights.
Pity.

But maybe no highlights only for the spring classics. Still hope they do have highlights for the stages of the gran tours.
PandaMunich

Post by PandaMunich »

You could take a look at what's on Eurosport2 today, tomorrow and so on: https://www.eurosport.de/eurosport-tv-programm.shtml
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

https://www.discoveryplus.com/de/sport/cycling
OK, finally I concluded that yes, they do show cycling highlights.
Call me dumb but it was not obvious, not even from their website. After all, even in a cycling forum, amongst people that subscribe to it, I got opposing answers.
Thanks,
Auntie Helen

Post by Auntie Helen »

If you have a VPN, UK’s Channel 4 shows TdeF highlights of 1 hour each day of the tour, and I think some of the other Grand Tours too if they have the rights.
I write a monthly blog about life in Germany: https://www.auntiehelen.co.uk
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

Ok, I paid 40€ just now for 1yr of Eurosport.
And watched my first cycling race Milan - Sanremo. Remember when I watched it in situ, long time ago with Uni friends, took us a total of 48hr for a few seconds of watching sport 🤣, still huge fun😊

Cycling 288km @ 46kmh is very impressive. Even with all the drugs they probably still take.
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

Ok folks you're probably not obsessed with competitive cycling like I am - fine with it - but please allow me to bother you with this a little more....

I watched a major cycling race just now. Milan -Sanremo. Eurosport. Best cyclists in the world. It ended with a bunch of guys from different teams sprinting for the win at like 70kmh. One of them won.

What I found fantastic is that seconds after the finish, the "losers", including the guy ranked world #1, favourite, hugged the winner, all of them crying of joy.

Compare this with event where athletes or fans actually beat eachother up.
Last edited by Alberto on Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Compare this with event where athletes or fans actually beat eachother up.
Sad state of things when good sportmanship is so extraordinary. Should go without saying.

Maybe that's why I like to watch golf. :)
LukeSkywalker

Post by LukeSkywalker »

Eurosport 1 is free of charge on the cable. It shows tennis, snooker and cycling mainly. Giro and Tour du France complete stages. Darts is on Sport1, F1 on Swiss SRF, NBA and NHL live on Sunday on Pro 7 Maxx. Highlights Champions League on SRF as well. RTL airs American Football live. It’s all on the cable. I think golf on CNBC.
alma.freya

Post by alma.freya »

Alberto wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:04 pm Compare this with event where athletes or fans actually beat eachother up.
I love your attempt to highlight the moral superiority of cycling while simultaneously acknowledging that the peloton are probably still doped in your previous post.

I only watched the last 40km but I doubt I missed much. Got to see the final climbs. I thought Pidcock was going to nab it at the end but van der Poel is a machine and pulled him back to set up the win for his teammate.

You have Flanders and Roubaix to look forward to in a few weeks.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

I think golf on CNBC.
I haven't seen golf on CNBC. They may have some limited coverage. It is on Peacock which is NBC for the last half of the day or so. Starts on ESPN+.

I'm watching Peacock now. Mike Tirico is in the announcer booth as well as Keven Kisner who is from my hometown. I know Kevin and I sat beside and met Mike on a flight from Atlanta to Augusta last year on my way for the Masters. Very nice guy. No comment on Kevin.