e-scooter, because Fahrrad too anstrengend

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisici elit
Franklan

Re: e-scooter, because Fahrrad too anstrengend

Post by Franklan »

Common sense isn't mandatory either, but it is still a good idea to use it. ;)
Germany's major problem at the moment is not artificial intelligence, but natural stupidity.
LukeSkywalker

Post by LukeSkywalker »

alma.freya wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:08 pm Dutch people regularly ride their bicycles with umbrellas.
I‘m Dutch and approve this message :D
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

There are different ways to ride a bike. You can reach speeds on a race bike you will not reach on a more sturdy Hollandrad, especially while holding your umbrella in one hand. You can commute at lower speed and arrive at your destination without being drenched in sweat and needing a shower when you get there. Of course you might get drenched if it's raining and you forgot your umbrella. You can get studded tires for winter but when the snow is enough to reach the pedals, it gets a bit difficult.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

Cycling while holding an umberalla or a phone or eating or smoking or drinking is very stupid

I saw an image of cycles in Niederlande, with no brakes (no hand-brakes) I guess they have back-pedal brakes, which are much better than hand-brakes actually
Bad News: no, more €bikes! Last year more €bikes were sold than conventional cycles
Erst der Spaß, dann das Vergnügen/first the fun, then the enjoyment
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

I believe that e-bikes help keep a lot more cars off of the road.

Not everyone is capable of pedaling a bike for long distances or up hills. Himself got an e-bike a couple of years ago. He still pedals but now has assistance. Most people that I see on e-bikes are pedaling. Rarely are they racing. I see more standard bikes racing.

I've also noticed that almost all of those child transporter bikes are e-bikes these days. They are huge and very heavy, especially with a child or 2 in them. About 100 of them go down my street daily. That keeps a lot of cars off of the road.

I don't think I've ever seen an "obese" person on an e-bike.
Krieg

Post by Krieg »

Escafusa wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:41 am
Fietsrad wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:48 amLast year more €bikes were sold than conventional cycles
Great, leading to even more fatal accidents and even more obesity. :(
I am not sure which kind of logic are you using here. How can eBikes create more obesity when most of the eBike riders are people who wouldn't ride a bike at all if eBikes didn't exist? And how are they going to create more fatal accidents if they are limited to 25 km/h ?

I don't have data to back it up, but I would think that the spandex cyclists, riding race bicycles at 50 km/h are more problematic than eBikes.
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

Krieg wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:00 am I am not sure which kind of logic are you using here. How can eBikes create more obesity when most of the eBike riders are people who wouldn't ride a bike at all if eBikes didn't exist? And how are they going to create more fatal accidents if they are limited to 25 km/h ?

I don't have data to back it up, but I would think that the spandex cyclists, riding race bicycles at 50 km/h are more problematic than eBikes.
Most people I see on e-bikes are elderly people who probably used to have a regular bike before but it's getting harder for them to tackle the hills. If e-bikes were not available, they would probably just ride less or stop.
bethannbitt

Post by bethannbitt »

One of several factors that lead us to retire in our neighborhood in Konstanz was the ability to age in place without needing a car. I have a regular bike and also an e-bike that I bought practically new, for 1,200 €, from a Bodensee tour company that offloads used bikes biannually. Both have their uses. My e-bike stays on the ECO setting until I encounter a steep hill or wanna transport two panniers full of heavy groceries.

I happen to be a healthy, reasonably fit Oma. I can tell you that I undertake way more with that e-bike than I would without it, and it actually helps me stay fit and enjoy my surroundings here. Hubby, 7 years older than I, is a former hard core cyclist who doesn't yet have an e-bike. Now we can take rides together that would otherwise kill me, like the stretch from Konstanz to Stein am Rhein. I love the versatility of my e-bike and I use it responsibly, and we don't need a car. So nobody complain to me please. 😀
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

So nobody complain to me please.
Complaint - you are too awesome!
bethannbitt

Post by bethannbitt »

Fraufruit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:47 pm
So nobody complain to me please.
Complaint - you are too awesome!
:lol:
Krieg

Post by Krieg »

Escafusa wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:33 pm I disagree, I often see e-bikes racing and normal bikes lagging behind. ;)
And what would be wrong with that? eBikes are limited to 25 km/h which is not really high speed in terms of cycling, i.e. kids can keep a 20 km/h pace easily. So the eBikers you often see racing are either riding without support from the motor or sticking to 25 km/h.

This is a popular joke here:

- How do you overtake an eBiker?
- Ride @ 26 km/h
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

Escafusa wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:33 pm Fair enough, neither have I. But I have definitely seen a fair few overweight people on both e-bikes and e-scooters - and do so regularly. :roll:
I think for sure that is healthier than driving a car though.
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

Krieg wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:45 pm - How do you overtake an eBiker?
- Ride @ 26 km/h
One guy told me his goes up to 28 so maybe you have to go 29 ;)
Franklan

Post by Franklan »

Ebike =25 Max
EScouter =20 Max
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

I don't take much notice of other people's weight but have seen many heavy people on bicycles. A few of them I see every day. Good on them, I say.
Metall

Post by Metall »

Franklan wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:10 pm
Common sense isn't mandatory either, but it is still a good idea to use it. ;)
Germany's major problem at the moment is not artificial intelligence, but natural stupidity.

*clap clap clap*

I've had an e-scooter with THREE people on it zoom at me on the sidewalk, they yelling at me to get out of the way.
There's a reason why people are throwing the rental scooters in the trash and the river.
Last edited by Metall on Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

For e-bikes yes, slightly
So you think that people who ride on e-bikes in the fresh air and pedaling almost constantly is only slightly better than driving a car health-wise and environmentally-wise?

Sounds weird to me.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

I pedal all the time, no gears🙃

You can often spot an €biker because she is pedalling unusually slowly in relation to her speed, not sure why
Erst der Spaß, dann das Vergnügen/first the fun, then the enjoyment
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

You can often spot an €biker because she is pedalling unusually slowly in relation to her speed, not sure why
But pedaling just the same. Not sitting in a car.

I just stood on my balcony for about 15 minutes and watched a lot of bikes go by. It is rush hour. All of the ebike riders were pedaling. Even the ones with the heavy kindercadillacs attached.
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

Metall wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:21 pm I've had an e-scooter with THREE people on it zoom at me on the sidewalk, they yelling at me to get out of the way.
There's a reason why people are throwing the rental scooters in the trash and the river.
The other day I saw two boys riding alongside each other, one on a bike on the bike part of the sidewalk, the other on an e-scooter on the pedestrian side. Some pedestrians yelled at scooter guy to move over to the bike lane and he yelled back: "but I'm not on a bike". Sure he was just being cheeky but IMO there should be some sort of safety course required. Hard to implement for the rentals maybe but could be a part of the app.
Escafusa wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:06 pmWhy can't those on e-scooters just walk or cycle?! :?
Walking takes a lot longer and cycling is too strenuous, especially for the overweight :P
Escafusa wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:30 pm For a start not all are 'pedaling almost constantly' as you put it, many are relying on the motor and I never said anything about the environment. ;)
There are actually legal classifications of what these bikes are allowed to do. They are not supposed to have a motor that lets them drive at 25km/hr without pedaling. Such a bike would be classified as a mofa.