Driving licence question

Anything that doesn't fit into the other subforums of German legalese, paper work, red tape
kiplette

Driving licence question

Post by kiplette »

Does anyone know if the new B197 licence can be exchanged for a full UK one?

For those who haven't met it, it's an automatic licence whose holder has had at least 10 hours of gear-box instruction and passed a 15 minute test with an official instructor to prove they can in fact drive a car with gears. Here in Germany and in the EU it is equal to a full licence for car driving but not for additional things like trailer/lkw etc, you would then be restricted to automatic or have to take a proper B test.

Utterly bizarre in my mind, but that's what kid#2 is about to do and I would like to know if in the fullness of time, he returns to the UK, he will be able to switch it for a full UK one. My investigations thus far have been inconclusive.
LeonG

Re: Driving licence question

Post by LeonG »

At https://www.passmefast.co.uk/resources/ ... ng-licence it says that unless you passed your driving test in a manual, you will not get a manual UK license unless you take an additional test. Since the B197 requires the additional test already, I guess it would be valid.
kiplette

Post by kiplette »

Good find, Leon.

Thank you - that's a logical conclusion and cause for hope :)
kaffeemitmilch

Post by kaffeemitmilch »

This manual stipulation is weird since Canadians can swap their licenses in the UK with no other tests, and maybe 12 Canadians (a tehnth of the population) can drive a manual car.