Connectivity issues for internet in apartment

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisici elit
AlexTr

Connectivity issues for internet in apartment

Post by AlexTr »

We have a Vodafone branded router/modem combination. I also have a Netgear R6400 available. I did put an extender on the second floor of our apartment last year, but I know I should upgrade it to a mesh extender. I have to hold off. My wife is suspicious of all technology expenditures.

I pay for an 1100 Mbps download speed and 50 Mbps upload speed. I get it on my laptop when it is wired. As we mainly use wireless devices, we get decreased values for these things on the wireless devices, but that's okay. My tablet gets 400 Mbps in the living room, and my Fire Stick gets 100 Mbps. After much testing, it appears that my wife's work computer (1 year old HP, was top of the offered line from the company for nontechnical personnel) gets a radically diminished speed even when wired directly to the router at my work station.

I know I can look into some items on my own (e.g., hardware updates and unoptimized settings), but is there any reason anyone could think of that an IT department at a Fortune 100 would purposely slow internet speeds? Is there anything else I should be looking for? This is clearly an issue with just the work computer.
Fraufruit

Re: Connectivity issues for internet in apartment

Post by Fraufruit »

I had to send my new HP for repair twice in the first 6 months or so. This was recent. Different problem - it was freezing up.

Each time, they brought me a custom box to ship it in and picked it up. It went to Hungary and was back in a week or so. Seems to be working fine now.

Different problem. Just saying in case you need to send it for repair.

Best of luck!

p.s. It was not a cheap machine and I'll never buy HP again.
AlexTr

Post by AlexTr »

Well, that was my suggestion to her. She is preparing for an annual big data project and needs speed. She has to communicate to her IT team that hardware issues have to be handled ASAP -- especially before the data starts rolling in. We'll see.
Franklan

Post by Franklan »

Sometimes, the IT guys configure laptops so that they must use VPN when they're not plugged into the company net or not attached to a company wifi access point.

If that's the case, every traffic from and to that laptop somehow runs over a company vpn server, which could be the bottle neck.

Check out this link: https://toytown.ing/whatsmyip

Does it show a different IP when using that company laptop and when using another device (that doesn't have that speed problem)?
How does the IP look like? Is it separated by "." or by ":" ?