Americans - US Passport Renewal & NE

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisici elit
bethannbitt

Americans - US Passport Renewal & NE

Post by bethannbitt »

Time sure flies! I can apply for my Niederlassungserlaubnis this August. 👏 My current US Passport expires in August of 2025, and then I would have to turn around and renew the NE card a year later. So, should I just go ahead and renew the passport soon before applying for the NE, and if so how early before applying for the NE should I do it? Would appreciate wisdom from anyone who has completed this process. I am very grateful that we are back in business here sharing our collective knowledge. 🙏 again to those who made it possible.
Escafusa

Re: Americans - US Passport Renewal & NE

Post by Escafusa »

Why would you need to renew the NE just because you renewed your passport?! :|
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Escafusa wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:19 am Why would you need to renew the NE just because you renewed your passport?! :|
It just is so. My NE expires when my passport does in 2027. They go hand in hand, so to speak.

It makes no sense because I have unbefristet staying permission. Alas.....
Escafusa

Post by Escafusa »

Is that just a thing for non-European nationals? My permit runs from 2021 until 2026, then my passport expired in 2022 and was renewed until 2032, but it didn't affect my permit validity.
bethannbitt

Post by bethannbitt »

FrauFruit: Exactly. The permission to reside is indefinite, but the card expires when the passport expires. So, is there any better or worse way to simplify this experience was my original question?

Esacfusa: The thread is directed to Americans who have knowledge geared to our specific situation. Our AE and NE cards show our US Passport Number and show an expiration date that is identical to our passport expiration date.
Escafusa

Post by Escafusa »

Yes, I see that. It just made me check my permit out to see if there was any correlation, fortunately, not, but I hope you find a solution. Maybe renew your passport a couple of months in advance so that when you go along to renew your permit, you're good for another 5 years twice over.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Sorry I didn't address your original question, Bethannbitt.

If I were you, I would go ahead and renew my passport and then go for the NE card. Not sure if it's the best way but it is what I would do. You may have to explain why you are renewing your passport early.

TBH, getting my NE card was just a trip to the Ausländeramt and a short wait. No big deal. I forget what it cost.
bethannbitt

Post by bethannbitt »

Fraufruit wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:47 am I were you, I would go ahead and renew my passport and then go for the NE card. Not sure if it's the best way but it is what I would do. You may have to explain why you are renewing your passport early.
That was what I thought I saw on the old TT. I don’t think renewing early is a problem. BTW, unfortunately I had to apply for my current passport, issued in 2015, within 3 months of having just renewed the prior one. Returned back to the US from Armenia, stupidly left it in my purse for a week, and some evil person stole the purse. So I had to pay double for that passport! Live and learn!
kaffeemitmilch

Post by kaffeemitmilch »

Yes, renew your passport first and THEN get your NE. Tell the consulate you need it ASAP as you are being issued an NE. They will likely oblige. You don't need a reason to renew your passport early. They don't care.
bethannbitt

Post by bethannbitt »

kaffeemitmilch wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:04 pm Yes, renew your passport first and THEN get your NE. Tell the consulate you need it ASAP as you are being issued an NE. They will likely oblige. You don't need a reason to renew your passport early. They don't care.
🙏 That’s quite helpful. Another question: We fly to Greece for vacation during the the last two weeks of August. If we get our passports renewed here in April/June can we fly to/from Greece in August as long as show our old passport that’s tied to the current Aufenthaltserlaubnis, along with the newly issued passport. Directly after we return from Greece we want to submit the NE application.

Otherwise we have to wait until August to get our passports renewed, setting back the time at which we can apply for the NE, and possibly interfering with a fall trip to the US.
kaffeemitmilch

Post by kaffeemitmilch »

🙏 That’s quite helpful. Another question: We fly to Greece for vacation during the the last two weeks of August. If we get our passports renewed here in April/June can we fly to/from Greece in August as long as show our old passport that’s tied to the current Aufenthaltserlaubnis, along with the newly issued passport. Directly after we return from Greece we want to submit the NE application.

Otherwise we have to wait until August to get our passports renewed, setting back the time at which we can apply for the NE, and possibly interfering with a fall trip to the US.
Well, Greece is Schengen so you are unlikely to be checked.

IIRC, there were posts about people doing this. BTW I think the new renewal process is online, at least in Frankfurt. Otherwise, when I renewed mine, they let me keep it until I got my new one so you might be able to renew anyway. Contact your ABH. It may be really fast where you live, and if you submit the renewal in person you will be given proof of having been approved, as I was.