murphaph

Don't get caught by this latest ATM scam

Post by murphaph »

I would probably have hit cash and balance too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTGXR03ZN68
Fraufruit

Re: Don't get caught by this latest ATM scam

Post by Fraufruit »

That's interesting. There is an ATM around the corner that might do that. I didn't understand the way it worked and aborted my transaction.

Fortunately, I get all ATM fees refunded with my account.
Escafusa

Post by Escafusa »

It would be a lot easier if you just paid by card in the shop thereby avoiding the hassle and danger of ATMs. I can't even remember the last time I withdrew cash - and I certainly would never pay to do so.
If you really still need cash withdrawals, then the obvious thing is to choose an account where these are included. Why waste money on lining the bankers' pockets via exorbitant charges?! :|
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

I have a special hatred for these Eurocash things that have sprung up like poison mushrooms all over the place.
As long as you use a local card they behave like any other ATM, but if you use a non local card then they have an option to use either their own conversion rate for foreign cards and that is to the worst possible rate, at least for you. And they will take up to 30% of your withdrawal in fees.
If you see one, don´t use it just superglue the cardreader.
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

I always have a bit of cash on hand for businesses that don't accept cards. I just go to my own bank to make withdrawals. You can also withdraw cash in many grocery stores without a fee.
Escafusa

Post by Escafusa »

Same here, but the only place I've come across that doesn't take credit cards so far is the post office.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

My pedicurist and my hair dresser don't take cards any more. Not even EC cards.
Escafusa

Post by Escafusa »

That's definitely a step backwards, as I thought cards had taken over cash long ago. Do EC cards even still exist?! :|
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

There are still debit cards but I think differnt banks call them different things.

I'm mostly a cash person.
bethannbitt

Post by bethannbitt »

Escafusa wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:49 pm That's definitely a step backwards, as I thought cards had taken over cash long ago. Do EC cards even still exist?! :|
I use an EC card here and it’s very normal to do so. But there are still plenty of instances where it’s cash only.
Escafusa

Post by Escafusa »

bethannbitt wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:43 pm I use an EC card here and it’s very normal to do so. But there are still plenty of instances where it’s cash only.
But I was under the impression that EC cards were phased out about 15 to 20 years ago and all replaced by debit cards. I don't understand what people mean when they still say EC card. Many newcomers have never heard of them.

As for cash-only, these are places which I must have avoided until now. I don't like carrying cash and only usually carry a €20 note 'just in case', as if cash is lost or stolen, you're unlikely to get it back, whereas with cards you can at least get them blocked.
Franklan

Post by Franklan »

Escafusa wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:49 pm That's definitely a step backwards, as I thought cards had taken over cash long ago. Do EC cards even still exist?! :|
Keep in mind that a lot of people in Germany do "black labor" to some extend. No wonder, concerning the high taxes.

So the roofer fixes somebody's roof and gets paid in cash, and when the roofer's car has brakes that need to be done, "Mr. Black" (the car mechanic) gets paid in cash (and so on)...

So, there is a hell of a lot of money floating around that shall never be on a bank account (and thus can never be associated with some form of card)...
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Escafusa wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:52 pm
bethannbitt wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:43 pm I use an EC card here and it’s very normal to do so. But there are still plenty of instances where it’s cash only.
But I was under the impression that EC cards were phased out about 15 to 20 years ago and all replaced by debit cards. I don't understand what people mean when they still say EC card. Many newcomers have never heard of them.

As for cash-only, these are places which I must have avoided until now. I don't like carrying cash and only usually carry a €20 note 'just in case', as if cash is lost or stolen, you're unlikely to get it back, whereas with cards you can at least get them blocked.
EC cards were basically debit cards. Use it and money goes off of your account to the vendor. Same same.

I've never lost cash or had it stolen. I don't carry large amounts. Enought to shop or go out for dinner or whatever. I use a credit card (free) for big ticket items and ordering online.
Escafusa

Post by Escafusa »

Franklan wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:09 pmKeep in mind that a lot of people in Germany do "black labor" to some extend. No wonder, concerning the high taxes.

So the roofer fixes somebody's roof and gets paid in cash, and when the roofer's car has brakes that need to be done, "Mr. Black" (the car mechanic) gets paid in cash (and so on)...

So, there is a hell of a lot of money floating around that shall never be on a bank account (and thus can never be associated with some form of card)...
Very good point. And if using cash adds an extra layer of protection for those practicing tax avoidance, then I'm all for the use of cash! In fact I can't understand people who pay taxes in Germany, other than VAT of course which is a bit harder to avoid since we all have to buy stuff. :)
Fraufruit wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:24 pmI've never lost cash or had it stolen. I don't carry large amounts. Enought to shop or go out for dinner or whatever. I use a credit card (free) for big ticket items and ordering online.
I've never lost cash either, I just don't like carrying it for long or shopping with it - just an anxiety thing. Plus it's so 1980s. I just pay everything by credit card and pay off one bill at the end of the month. Easy.
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

Apparently there was an EC card replaced by a giro card although many just continued calling them EC cards because they were kind of the same anyway and those have been replaced by debit cards now as far as I know.

Using a card is fine if you are in control. For someone who is on a budget and not in control, cash is better.
murphaph

Post by murphaph »

EC (real name Girocard) still exists. Some merchants still only accept EC cards if they take cards at all though the numbers of EC-only merchants is dwindling, thanks mainly to the banks pushing Visa and Mastercard based debit cards, which are generally free, whereas EC cards are often no longer free.
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

My bank announced last summer that they were doing away with the Giro cards. They sent out new debit cards and said that Giro cards will be deactivated. I see looking at their website now that they lied. They will let you keep a Giro card for 12€ per year. Not that I see a need to.
Escafusa

Post by Escafusa »

murphaph wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:20 pm the numbers of EC-only merchants is dwindling
Hardly surprising since card payments have finally overtaken cash payments here. Any place that doesn't accept a credit card doesn't get my business on principal. I pay every transaction using a free Amex card and collect points on every purchase.
But I carry a Mastercard as well for those retailers (just 3 shops where I go from time to time) that still don't accept Amex. :roll:
Krieg

Post by Krieg »

Both my kids have now credit cards from Revolut, I’ve got tired of having to find cash for their allowances. Now they are the ones complaining about places not taking cards or taking only EC. Their problem now.
LukeSkywalker

Post by LukeSkywalker »

I know some restaurants in my hood where they allow cards only from €20 upwards. This has to do with fees for the owner. Apparently, this is not an issue in e.g. Sweden or the Netherlands where cash is becoming obsolete. Or the owners have no problem paying all the fees necessary.