What got you flummoxed today?

Anything that doesn't fit into the other subforums of Miscellaneous themes
Fietsrad

Re: What got you flummoxed today?

Post by Fietsrad »

Escafusa wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:59 pm Milk drinks (in plastic containers) now have a deposit on them and the empty container has to be taken back to the shop if you want your money back. Now I have to remember not to trash them. I guess they thought it was too easy to let us keep putting them into the yellow sacks. :?
How much further is this going to go?!
The big problem in the summer will be the smell, if one hoards milkdrink containers unrinsed😕
Erst der Spaß, dann das Vergnügen/first the fun, then the enjoyment
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

Fietsrad wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:20 pm The big problem in the summer will be the smell, if one hoards milkdrink containers unrinsed😕
Not if you put the top back on the bottle once it's empty. I buy milk in plastic bottles and also noticed recently that they started with a 25 cent deposit. Not much of an adjustment for me. They just go in a different bag now.
Escafusa

Post by Escafusa »

Fietsrad wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:20 pmThe big problem in the summer will be the smell, if one hoards milkdrink containers unrinsed😕
And in fact this is one of the reasons, along with hygiene, why the supermarkets were against this change and tried to stop it from being implemented, alas they didn't manage it. Those machines already can be quite smelly, so I imagine the problem will only get much worse, we'll see in the summer.
I also read that between now and 2030 the deposit scheme is to be expanded further still, to include more categories of packaging containers etc. I don't know exactly what and when.
Some people will argue that rinsing them out is also not good for the environment as it means a large increase in the use of water, so there are two sides to all of this. What if they start including yogurt pots and similar in the deposit scheme?! :|
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

What if they start including yogurt pots and similar in the deposit scheme?!
Grocery stores have a limited amount of space. The bottle return machines and what goes on behind them take up a lot of space. I don't see how they could possibly start accepting empties that won't fit in the existing machines or where they would store all of that.

Can you put your mild drink plastic bottle in those same machines?
Escafusa

Post by Escafusa »

Fraufruit wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:52 pm Grocery stores have a limited amount of space. The bottle return machines and what goes on behind them take up a lot of space. I don't see how they could possibly start accepting empties that won't fit in the existing machines or where they would store all of that.
Well yogurt pots are not large, so I would imagine they will fit, after all it's the deposit label that counts for the container to be accepted and payment slip issued.
Fraufruit wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:52 pmCan you put your milk drink plastic bottle in those same machines?
Yes, I've been to the market and the milk bottles went into the same machine as the water/drink PET type bottles. No problem.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

Vocab: Pfandschlupf is the term for deposits that are not redeemed, it is many millions

I have a few bottles of fruit juice on the shelf, deposit on a litre bottle is 25c, on a 330ml bottle 25c, so I have lent the food retailer more than 2€ for several months
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

Escafusa wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:02 pmWell yogurt pots are not large, so I would imagine they will fit, after all it's the deposit label that counts for the container to be accepted and payment slip issued.
The machine reads the bar code as far as I know. Sometimes if they don't get read, you can try putting it in again with the bar code up. Yogurt pots should work as long as they have the bar code on the side. The only ones I have right now came from a 4-pack and there isn't a bar code on each one.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Looks like we will have to start taking more stuff to the grocery store than we buy there. :lol:
Franklan

Post by Franklan »

Fietsrad wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:37 pm Vocab: Pfandschlupf is the term for deposits that are not redeemed, it is many millions
That's how the recycling of the stuff actually brought back is financed, I have to assume.
Escafusa

Post by Escafusa »

Franklan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:54 amThat's how the recycling of the stuff actually brought back is financed, I have to assume.
Could be. But if that is true and if all of the bottles were taken back and all of the Pfand that was paid to the shops, is paid back to the consumers, there would be no money made on this scheme whatsoever and so no money to fund the recycling. In other words they are actually relying on the amount made on bottles that never get taken back - presumably the ones that get destroyed, exported or get put into yellow sacks or rubbish bins?
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

As has been said, it is all baked into the prices.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Woke up this morning at ten to six. Got up, went for a pee, had breakfast, watched the news and around nine decided that it had been too early and that I needed to go back to sleep. Now it´s almost three and one of my precious two days off is half gone and the sink is still full of dishes and pots and bits and bats from last nights tea and I havn´t even swung the vacuum cleaner round the flat.
So amma going to waste the rest of the day in a state of flummoxation writing rubbish on hTTi and SF.
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

I am flummoxed that my bank just sent me a brand new giro card. They say it will replace my old giro card with the maestro logo because as you probably know, maestro isn't a part of the giro card anymore. However, as far as I know, they already replaced my giro card last summer with a visa debit card. There has been no notice of a roll back to giro cards again. Their website states that giro was replaced by visa debit but if you'd really like a giro card, you can get one but it's not free.

I called their service desk to ask about this new card and the first person I talked to said she has no idea, then tried to transfer me which didn't work. I called again, got someone else who also said he had no idea and added that it might be a mistake. I guess I'll have to go to my branch to find out.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

The Guardian reports that people in Niederland spend too much time sitting

They are encouraged to play more sports, cycling for example

I thought you are sitting when you cycle🙃
AlexTr

Post by AlexTr »

Today, idiots who do not concede to the superiority of the series comma have me flummoxed.

"Only godless savages eschew the series comma." - Dreyer's English, 2019

How 1 Missing Comma Just Cost This Company $5 Million
Robinson100

Post by Robinson100 »

Fraufruit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:20 pm Now I'm flummoxed. I've never bought a milk drink in a plastic bottle. What kind of drink is it actually?
Müllermilch is a good example........
Metall

Post by Metall »

I’m flummoxed because last week I desperately waited for a badly delayed package (with expensive music stuff) to be delivered by DHL.
Half day later - no package, no knock or ring, but TWO effing postcards to pick up the package at TWO DIFFERENT DHL shops!! Of course the next day, almost too late to be of any use.

Cue lil’ ol’ me desperately digging for the package in BOTH DHL shops with the proprietors. Nothing.
Phone calls by the stores to DHL only produce a database entry that the package was in one of the shops. Nope. Complaint and tracking request by shops. DHL does nothing.
I contact DHL again and file another tracking request. They send an email claiming I never picked up the package and it was being returned to sender (the music store). To date, the store has received nothing.

This is going to be fun, am still out the money.

Will have future stuff shipped by UPS…
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

Metall wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:06 pm Phone calls by the stores to DHL only produce a database entry that the package was in one of the shops. Nope. Complaint and tracking request by shops. DHL does nothing.
I've had it happen multiple times that I get notice something is at the shop but it isn't.. yet. Usually shows up there next day. The one time I decided to let it sit for a day to make sure it's there, tracking showed that DHL had brought it to the shop but picked it up there again and took it away a day later. According to their info they now wanted me to pick it up in Hannover. That's like 2 hrs. on the train. I tried to re-route it back to my local paket shop. Next time I track it, they say it's in Magdeburg. Magdeburg is 2 hrs. away by car. But then a delivery guy shows up with it at my door an hour later. I had another one happen where they returned to sender because delivery guy "couldn't find my house". My house shows up on google maps just fine.

I hope you find yours eventually.
LukeSkywalker

Post by LukeSkywalker »

Wow, NASA is able to get data from the Voyager 1 (1977)

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/nasas-voy ... s-to-earth
alma.freya

Post by alma.freya »