Pregnancy, health insurance and contract termination

Everything related to health insurance
InesPT

Pregnancy, health insurance and contract termination

Post by InesPT »

:) Hi everyone! Good to be back, it was hard to find this forum again but I’m so glad I managed!

I’m pregnant with my second child, I’m insured in the public system with TK. I will go on payed maternity leave by 31.03.2024 and my work contract finishes on 31.05.2024.
Do you know if I have the to pay health insurance after the 31.05?

Thank you so much in advance :)

Ines
PandaMunich

Re: Pregnancy, health insurance and contract termination

Post by PandaMunich »

InesPT wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:32 pm I’m pregnant with my second child, I’m insured in the public system with TK. I will go on payed maternity leave by 31.03.2024 and my work contract finishes on 31.05.2024.
Do you know if I have the to pay health insurance after the 31.05?
Congratulations!

There are 3 options:

Option 1:
You were a mandatory member of public health insurance, i.e. your gross monthly salary in 2024 was lower than the Versicherungspflichtgrenze (also called JAEG = Jahresarbeitsentgeltgrenze) of 5,775€ (in 2024).
--> you get free public health insurance from your public health insurer after 31.05.2024, for as long as you draw Elterngeld.

Option 2:
You were a voluntary member of public health insurance, i.e. your gross monthly salary in 2024 was at least the Versicherungspflichtgrenze (also called JAEG = Jahresarbeitsentgeltsgrenze) of 5,775€ and your husband also has public health insurance (it doesn't matter whether his insurance is mandatory or voluntary, either will do)
--> you get free public health insurance from his public health insurer after 31.05.2024, through free family insurance (Familienversicherung), but only if your worldwide income from all sources (interest income, rental income, but your Elterngeld does not count as income here) is not more than 1/7*Bezugsgröße, which in 2024 is 1/7*3,535€ = 505€ per month, or you are allowed to have mini job which in 2024 pays up to 538€ per month.

Option 3:
Neither option 1 nor option 2 applies to you.
--> you have to pay for voluntary public health insurance, which is charged based on your worldwide monthly income (but your Elterngeld does not count as income) and which costs at least around 220€ per month (in 2024).
If you are with Techniker Krankenkasse, you can calculate your monthly contribution here: https://www.tk.de/service/app/2004108/b ... echner.app

Please see here for a case such as yours, her question about this was answered by a lawyer.
Though she had earned above the JAEG, so she's either option 2 or option 3: https://www-rund--ums--baby-de.translat ... r_pto=wapp
InesPT

Post by InesPT »

Hi PandaMunich!
Thank you for the wishes and the reply :)

Does monthly gross salary mean the annual salary split by 13 or the actual gross monthly salary? This would determine if I’m option 1 or not :)

Thanks,
Ines
PandaMunich

Post by PandaMunich »

InesPT wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:21 pm Does monthly gross salary mean the annual salary split by 13 or the actual gross monthly salary? This would determine if I’m option 1 or not :)
It means your "steady" yearly gross, divided by 12.

Your "steady" yearly gross, in German "regelmäßiges Arbeitsentgelt" is your normal yearly gross salary, plus additional regular payments like Urlaubsgeld and Weihnachtsgeld, but it does not include your variable performance bonus, see here: https://www.haufe.de/personal/haufe-per ... 75346.html
InesPT

Post by InesPT »

Then I’m not option 1 due to the Urlaubsgeld and Weihnachtsgeld.

If we are not married, even though he has public health insurance, I’m not option 2 either, correct?
PandaMunich

Post by PandaMunich »

Yes, if you are not married, you cannot get free family insurance.
--> you are option 3.
InesPT

Post by InesPT »

Hm, and would I go to option 2 if we get married before May, when the baby is arrives?
PandaMunich

Post by PandaMunich »

If he has public health insurance, yes, then you would get free family insurance through your husband.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

More congrats if you choose to do that. Just get started on the marriage paperwork soonest.
InesPT

Post by InesPT »

I know it’s a weird question but we were anyway considering it a few times now :D
Thank you for the help :)
InesPT

Post by InesPT »

Hi everyone :)
A brief update first: we did manage to get married before the baby is born :lol: :)

I called AOK to be transferred from TK to my now husband's insurance. They say while I'm in Mutterschutz it would be simpler to remain in TK and change afterwards to AOK, in my case 1st of August. Still, from then on, since I'm in Elternzeit (but no longer employed) I will be insured with my own AOK insurance for free (including the child). Only in November, when my husband's contract ends, one of us has to pay health insurance, in this case it will be him, and the child and me join his insurance for free as a Familienversicherung.
Does this sound reliable to you? I'll be in Elternzeit by that time too, so I don't really get why.

Thank you!
kaffeemitmilch

Post by kaffeemitmilch »

Paid Elternzeit means they pay for your health insurance and give you Elterngeld. If it's unpaid, then you need to jump on your partner's insurance.
PandaMunich

Post by PandaMunich »

InesPT wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:57 am A brief update first: we did manage to get married before the baby is born :lol: :)
Congratulations!
InesPT wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:57 am I called AOK to be transferred from TK to my now husband's insurance. They say while I'm in Mutterschutz it would be simpler to remain in TK and change afterwards to AOK, in my case 1st of August. Still, from then on, since I'm in Elternzeit (but no longer employed) I will be insured with my own AOK insurance for free (including the child). Only in November, when my husband's contract ends, one of us has to pay health insurance, in this case it will be him, and the child and me join his insurance for free as a Familienversicherung.
Does this sound reliable to you?
Yes.
InesPT wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:57 am I'll be in Elternzeit by that time too, so I don't really get why.
Because you are a voluntary member of public health insurance, i.e. because you are a high earner, you do not get "free" public health insurance when receiving Elterngeld. It is done this way since it is considered that high earners can afford to pay for public health insurance themselves.
Only people who earned less than you, i.e. who are mandatory members of public health insurance, get "free" public health insurance when receiving Elterngeld.

So it's excellent news that you got married, since now you will get "free" public health insurance through your husband, despite having been a high earner.

Please re-read my post of "Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:59 am" and you will understand: viewtopic.php?p=309#p309
InesPT

Post by InesPT »

Got it, thank you :)