Tipping washing machine delivery driver(s)

Anything that doesn't fit into the other subforums of Miscellaneous themes
alma.freya

Tipping washing machine delivery driver(s)

Post by alma.freya »

Amazon are delivering a washing machine today, including placing the machine in a specific room and unpacking (but without connection).

What is the expectation regarding tipping the delivery driver(s)?
pappnase

Re: Tipping washing machine delivery driver(s)

Post by pappnase »

It's their job, and they are paid for it, so if you don't tip that's fair enough.

On the other hand it's a shit job and they are not paid well, so if they are polite and friendly, then giving them some money each for a beer after work is going to be appreciated.

Normally I have given workmen who do this kind of thing 5 or 10 Euro each if they did a reasonable job, but I'm probably never going to see particular delivery people again, so I've never felt bad about not giving a tip when I didn't feel like it.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

I usually give about € 10 each for such things. I had a mattress delivered last week.
Krieg

Post by Krieg »

We just received a new fridge last week, delivery was free but "installation" was 119 EUR which of course I didn't pay. I am not a friend of the tipping culture and I hate that it is lately expanding to other jobs outside of food and beverages, but the fridge was a double door one and they took the old one with them and it was not an easy task. So I tipped them 10 EUR and after they left I thought it was a bit on the little side.

P.S., The problem later was that the "installation" included as well the unpackaging, which doesn't sound like a big task, but the fridge was covered with Styrofoam, a few pieces of wood and all wrapped in plastic. The problem was that the fridge was on top of a single piece of Styrofoam so it was not an easy task to remove that single piece and we were just me and my young teenager son. In retrospect I should have offered the guys 20 bucks for unpacking it.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

If they park illegally, leave the engine running etc, do not give them anything!

You might be justified to refuse the delivery even, and inform the Ordnungsamt.
Erst der Spaß, dann das Vergnügen/first the fun, then the enjoyment
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Fietsrad wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:50 am If they park illegally, leave the engine running etc, do not give them anything!

Why would he want to refuse delivery? I'm assuming he ordered the washing machine because he wants/needs it?
Krieg

Post by Krieg »

Fietsrad wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:50 am If they park illegally, leave the engine running etc, do not give them anything!

They should deliver washing machines by (non electric) bicycles.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

Delivery drivers routinely ignore the law. For example completely blocking the footway when there is plenty of space to park on the road, or leaving the engine running, oftentimes several offences at once.

Would it be worth refusing delivery? Does the employer care about offences? Probably not.
A good thing to do in theory would be to report them so they are fined, a minus instead of a plus. 🙂💰
Krieg

Post by Krieg »

Maybe they often park in double line because they want to be as close to your door as possible since they are carrying things that are extremely heavy. Just an idea.
Franklan

Post by Franklan »

pappnase wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:38 am It's their job, and they are paid for it, so if you don't tip that's fair enough.

On the other hand it's a shit job and they are not paid well, so if they are polite and friendly, then giving them some money each for a beer after work is going to be appreciated.

Normally I have given workmen who do this kind of thing 5 or 10 Euro each if they did a reasonable job, but I'm probably never going to see particular delivery people again, so I've never felt bad about not giving a tip when I didn't feel like it.
Recently, I ordered 5 crates of beer on Amazon fresh to be delivered to my appartment (I am 55, and I don't have a car, appartment is "Erster Stock", no lift/elevator).

Heartbreaking to see the delivery driver being a lady even older, grafting like a logging horse.

The world ain't fair, and 5 bucks less in my pocket doesn't hurt me, but helps her to make ends meet.
Last edited by Franklan on Fri May 03, 2024 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

I gave our drink delivery guy a fiver the other day and he put his hand on his heart and lit up like a Christmas tree.

Made my day.
Keleth

Post by Keleth »

I tip if I think the person deserves it.
I hope we don´t get into the culture of tips being expected.
Why should we tip delivery drivers just because DHL, Amazon etc pays shitty wages.
When was the last time anyone tipped a server in McDonalds, bank worker etc etc.
When you tip your waitress what about the dishwasher, cleaner etc?
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Why should we tip delivery drivers just because DHL, Amazon etc pays shitty wages.
Because we're nice and like helping out others.
Back when I worked in gastronomy, all tips were collected and shared between all staff. Not sure how they do it now.
Emkay

Post by Emkay »

I echo most other replies….we usually tip 10€ per delivery/installation person. We were recently quoted 350€ plus mwst to clear our gutters. 3 stories high. Great chap came over, asked for only 25€ as he was slim enough to get out of the roof Velux windows. We gave him 50€. We were very grateful for his instant help. We usually gave our regular DHL delivery person 30€ Christmas money. Sadly, in the last 2 years, there isn’t a regular delivery person.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

Krieg wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:02 pm Maybe they often park in double line because they want to be as close to your door as possible since they are carrying things that are extremely heavy. Just an idea.
If they park on the road and slow down motor traffic: no problem!

I recently helped a blind person walk to the shops. They should be able to rely on finding no motor vehicles on footways. Parked or moving.
Last edited by Fietsrad on Fri May 03, 2024 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LukeSkywalker

Post by LukeSkywalker »

Keleth wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:27 pm I tip if I think the person deserves it.
I hope we don´t get into the culture of tips being expected.
When was the last time anyone tipped a server in McDonalds, bank worker etc etc.
In my local Edeka the butcher has a Kaffeekasse for tipping, but why would I tip a butcher?

Ten years ago, I ordered a sleeping sofa and two guys delivered it to my apartment on 3rd floor without lift. They also took the old one with them. I gave €10 tip each. It turned out the sleeping sofa was 160 kilos! Now, I would probably tip some more for similar.
alma.freya

Post by alma.freya »

I gave the man and woman who delivered and unpacked the washing machine 10 € each. They didn't appear to expect it and were very grateful.