Sick note after a vasectomy

Anything that doesn't fit into the other subforums of German legalese, paper work, red tape
alma.freya

Sick note after a vasectomy

Post by alma.freya »

I plan to get a vasectomy for which I will pay for privately.

Will the procedure be linked with my Krankenkasse history?

Can I claim sick leave for the procedure?
Bayrisch_Dude

Re: Sick note after a vasectomy

Post by Bayrisch_Dude »

Since you're paying, it will have nothing to do with your KK. You can tell them if you so choose.

Sick leave is up to your physician. I had mine done in 2004 or 2003. Done on the Friday early, home that afternoon and back to work on the Monday. It's a very simple procedure and for me little to no pain.

Good on you for having it done and not expecting the missus to get her tubes tied. For men, it's a less complicated matter.
Shameful plug: visit my website www.lederwaren-allgaeu.de
Shameful plug Nr. 2: instagram - scottishknightleather
alma.freya

Post by alma.freya »

Bayrisch_Dude wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 am Since you're paying, it will have nothing to do with your KK. You can tell them if you so choose.

Sick leave is up to your physician. I had mine done in 2004 or 2003. Done on the Friday early, home that afternoon and back to work on the Monday. It's a very simple procedure and for me little to no pain.

Good on you for having it done and not expecting the missus to get her tubes tied. For men, it's a less complicated matter.
Thanks. I'm a firm believer that if a man doesn't want children yet still wants sex, he should get a vasectomy. It puts the woman's mind at ease which is important because it's the women who deals with all the consequences of pregnancy, and it's preferable to many other forms of birth control, especially those which impact a woman's hormones.

Did you have the no-scalpal method? I understand this is almost ubiquitous nowadays. I've got a jockstrap and ice packs to aid recovery. I'll be driving back 6 hours from Berlin post procedure, but the doctor said that shouldn't be a problem.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

But what if he/they want children later?
Erst der Spaß, dann das Vergnügen/first the fun, then the enjoyment
alma.freya

Post by alma.freya »

Fietsrad wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:17 pm But what if he/they want children later?
Do you say the same thing to people who want children?

"What if you don't want them later?"

You shouldn't get a vasectomy if you think you may want children in the future. And even if you get a vasectomy and then decide you want children (because you never know what you might want in the future), you either get the vasectomy reversed, adopt a child, or just don't have children.

I'd rather regret not having kids than regret having them.
Last edited by alma.freya on Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

It's also possible to freeze sperm.

Many people choose not to have children these days. I don't know how old the original poster is or if he already has children.

It's a personal choice.
alma.freya

Post by alma.freya »

Fraufruit wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:35 pm It's also possible to freeze sperm.

Many people choose not to have children these days. I don't know how old the original poster is or if he already has children.

It's a personal choice.
39, no kids and I don't want any.

It is a personal choice, however many women really struggle to find a doctor willing to provide sterilisation without either insulting and patronising questions or a straight up refusal.
Bayrisch_Dude

Post by Bayrisch_Dude »

Fraufruit wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:35 pm It's also possible to freeze sperm.

It's a personal choice.
The Dr asked me two questions: Age and if I had children or wanted more. I was 40 and had two. Wanting the procedure at 25 is probably no so wise.
Bayrisch_Dude

Post by Bayrisch_Dude »

alma.freya wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:36 pm
Did you have the no-scalpal method? I understand this is almost ubiquitous nowadays. I've got a jockstrap and ice packs to aid recovery. I'll be driving back 6 hours from Berlin post procedure, but the doctor said that shouldn't be a problem.
I had the scalpel method. Again, 20 year ago, but was a simply wee procedure.

" Great experience, would go again". :lol: :lol: :lol:

the weird part is returning for the.... test. They want to ensure you're no longer loaded. You'll find that experience.... odd indeed.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

You'll find that experience.... odd indeed.
Perhaps the 2 guys who don't jerk off regularly will find it odd. :lol:
alma.freya

Post by alma.freya »

My doctor didn't ask any questions, just told me I'll need 2 beers after the procedure: one for me and one for my balls.
Franklan

Post by Franklan »

alma.freya wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:21 pm I plan to get a vasectomy for which I will pay for privately.

Look, if you want to go skiing, you'll have to take a day off for that. It is your private business. However, if you break a leg while skiing, you'll get a yellow piece of paper from your GP that you're "unable to work" (also known as "sick") and you "need time to heal".

So, I do not think you can claim being "sick" for the day of the procedure, but probably for the days after the procedure. The procedure is your private (part) business, the potential result of being "unfit to work" for a few days thereafter probably not.

If you want to play nicely with your Employer: Take a Friday off, have the procedure done on that Friday, and if you feel unfit to work on Monday, ask your GP for the yellow piece of paper.

Keep in mind: I am not a lawyer.
alma.freya

Post by alma.freya »

Franklan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:05 pm
alma.freya wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:21 pm I plan to get a vasectomy for which I will pay for privately.

Look, if you want to go skiing, you'll have to take a day off for that. It is your private business. However, if you break a leg while skiing, you'll get a yellow piece of paper from your GP that you're "unable to work" (also known as "sick") and you "need time to heal".

So, I do not think you can claim being "sick" for the day of the procedure, but probably for the days after the procedure. The procedure is your private (part) business, the potential result of being "unfit to work" for a few days thereafter probably not.

If you want to play nicely with your Employer: Take a Friday off, have the procedure done on that Friday, and if you feel unfit to work on Monday, ask your GP for the yellow piece of paper.

Keep in mind: I am not a lawyer.
Thanks, this seems reasonable. The procedure is on a Wednesday and I have the following 2 days as holiday. I hope by Monday I'll be recovered enough to sit at my desk and pretend to work.
Krieg

Post by Krieg »

Franklan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:05 pm Take a Friday off, have the procedure done on that Friday, and if you feel unfit to work on Monday, ask your GP for the yellow piece of paper.
Totally off topic, but if you are on the public health system there are no more papers, the MC is now 100% online. You only have to inform your employer about it and they are the ones that have to pull it online from the health insurance company. It has been like that for a while, and since not so long ago, you don't even get prescriptions on paper, you just show up to any Apotheke and give them your insurance card and say you want to collect medicines. Color me surprised, I thought I would never see this here in my lifetime.
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

Krieg wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:04 am Totally off topic, but if you are on the public health system there are no more papers, the MC is now 100% online. You only have to inform your employer about it and they are the ones that have to pull it online from the health insurance company. It has been like that for a while, and since not so long ago, you don't even get prescriptions on paper, you just show up to any Apotheke and give them your insurance card and say you want to collect medicines. Color me surprised, I thought I would never see this here in my lifetime.
It is still having teething problems though. For example I was informed by a doctors assistant that I could not get a copy of my own sick note, that I would have to get it from the health insurance. When I went to the health insurance the next day, they said they didn't have it yet. I had to go back to the doctors office and talk to a different assistant to get a copy. Also I was told by the health insurance when I was on sick pay to scan my sick note and email it to them for them to get it faster than through the system. As for the prescriptions, last time I got one, they said they had to give it on paper because the system wasn't working.
Krieg

Post by Krieg »

LeonG wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:33 pm
Krieg wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:04 am Totally off topic, but if you are on the public health system there are no more papers, the MC is now 100% online. You only have to inform your employer about it and they are the ones that have to pull it online from the health insurance company. It has been like that for a while, and since not so long ago, you don't even get prescriptions on paper, you just show up to any Apotheke and give them your insurance card and say you want to collect medicines. Color me surprised, I thought I would never see this here in my lifetime.
It is still having teething problems though. For example I was informed by a doctors assistant that I could not get a copy of my own sick note, that I would have to get it from the health insurance. When I went to the health insurance the next day, they said they didn't have it yet. I had to go back to the doctors office and talk to a different assistant to get a copy. Also I was told by the health insurance when I was on sick pay to scan my sick note and email it to them for them to get it faster than through the system. As for the prescriptions, last time I got one, they said they had to give it on paper because the system wasn't working.
It is strange, there should not be teething problems anymore, at least for the e-AU (Elektronische Arbeitsunfähigkeitsbescheinigung), it was introduced in January 2023, so almost 1.5 years ago. And it shouldn't really work as you described it. You always get your own copy and nothing else, you do not have to post anything to anyone, you only have to inform your employer about it. The Health Insurance company receive the e-AU immediately (so you don't have to post it like it was required before) and they activate the pushing at the end of the month for your employer to get pull it. Maybe the doctor's system was having problems that day, but the Health Insurance company asking you to mail things makes no sense.

The e-Prescription (e-Rezept) was introduced in January this year, so hiccups might still happen. The only thing I have heard is complaints from the pharmacy employees about the system been too slow, they call it "the cloud".
bethannbitt

Post by bethannbitt »

I can only attest to the fact that some of us live in places where many of these magical changes don’t occur as quickly as they do in the „big city“. A year ago I had to hand carry my sinus x-ray results to the HNO Arzt. Not sure if that’s changed yet. And the e-prescription has only been recently implemented in these parts. The future just arrives more slowly here, which, for better or worse, is part of the charm.
Krieg

Post by Krieg »

bethannbitt wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:01 pm I can only attest to the fact that some of us live in places where many of these magical changes don’t occur as quickly as they do in the „big city“. A year ago I had to hand carry my sinus x-ray results to the HNO Arzt. Not sure if that’s changed yet. And the e-prescription has only been recently implemented in these parts. The future just arrives more slowly here, which, for better or worse, is part of the charm.
Carrying results from one doctor to another one is still the norm. My knowledge of German privacy laws are not deep enough to understand what was stopping Germany from implementing what other countries in the EU did long time ago, i.e. Spain (from all countries). But the good news is that it is finally coming, the e-PA (Elektronische Patientenakte) will be implemented in 2025 (at least for patients in the public system):

https://www.bundesgesundheitsministeriu ... ientenakte

AFAIK the process has been slowly implemented since 2021 and it is coming soon in full. I guess that's probably the reason why several Health Insurance companies requested a Post-ID for all the users of their apps this year.

And because it is Germany, from what I understand it will be more complicated than in other countries. The e-PA won't be just a bucket for saving all your medical history. The patients themselves will decide what they allow other (doctors) to see. I think this is dumb, the patients mostly do not have the knowledge to decide what data is needed and what not.
pappnase

Post by pappnase »

Krieg wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:38 pm I think this is dumb, the patients mostly do not have the knowledge to decide what data is needed and what not.
I think with health information it's a bit more complex than that.
I personally would share everything because I want my doctors to have the best info, but I can imagine scenarios where you wouldn't want something on your record.

For example if I worked for a Doctors surgery I might want to hide information about a pregnancy or a disability until I was ready to share the information.
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

Krieg wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:47 pmIt is strange, there should not be teething problems anymore, at least for the e-AU (Elektronische Arbeitsunfähigkeitsbescheinigung), it was introduced in January 2023, so almost 1.5 years ago. And it shouldn't really work as you described it. You always get your own copy and nothing else, you do not have to post anything to anyone, you only have to inform your employer about it. The Health Insurance company receive the e-AU immediately (so you don't have to post it like it was required before) and they activate the pushing at the end of the month for your employer to get pull it. Maybe the doctor's system was having problems that day, but the Health Insurance company asking you to mail things makes no sense.

The e-Prescription (e-Rezept) was introduced in January this year, so hiccups might still happen. The only thing I have heard is complaints from the pharmacy employees about the system been too slow, they call it "the cloud".
I think the key words here are should and shouldn't. Sometimes things aren't quite what they should be and something happens that actually shouldn't. I went to the same doctor for a refill again that couldn't give me an e-Prescription last time I was there because it was not working. Well, it's still not working.
bethannbitt wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:01 pm I can only attest to the fact that some of us live in places where many of these magical changes don’t occur as quickly as they do in the „big city“. A year ago I had to hand carry my sinus x-ray results to the HNO Arzt. Not sure if that’s changed yet. And the e-prescription has only been recently implemented in these parts. The future just arrives more slowly here, which, for better or worse, is part of the charm.
That's likely my problem as well. The villagers are suspicious of the new methods and a bit slow to embrace the new technology.