Mobility for young people, UK: EU: nein danke!

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisici elit
Fietsrad

Mobility for young people, UK: EU: nein danke!

Post by Fietsrad »

Ms van der Leyen talked about offering mobility for young people between the EU und the UK, but the PM and Sir Keir declined with thanks.

The Guardian suggests that the UK might seek agreements with individual countries (France was mentioned) but not with the whole EU.

Looks like Bxxxxt means Bxxxxt. I find the bleating about trouble importing and exporting a bit strange. Surely people in the UK can eat british potatoes?

I am relaxed about Bxxxxt really, because it does not affect me. But it might have made a big difference to me if it had happened earlier.
Erst der Spaß, dann das Vergnügen/first the fun, then the enjoyment
LeonG

Re: Mobility for young people, UK: EU: nein danke!

Post by LeonG »

The UK has a working holiday thing going on with some countries, see https://www.gov.uk/youth-mobility/eligibility
They could see about adding more countries to that list.
kiplette

Post by kiplette »

Fietsrad wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:07 pm I find the bleating about trouble importing and exporting a bit strange. Surely people in the UK can eat british potatoes?
I suppose it's the olive oil, oranges etc which the UK is not renowned for. Even with potatoes, though, it's only 70% self sufficient, if that makes sense.
https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... ly-sources - an interesting page on this very subject. We'd be stuffed without imports, unless you really like porridge :D
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

I do love porridge, parsnips etc. The UK could surely grow more than it does now. Perhaps vegetables could be planted on grey sites, instead of industrial estates.

Seems a bit perverse to export stuff from the UK to Europe and to import very similar stuff.

Does the UK still belong to "Europe"? I am confused, should one perhaps use the word "Mainland"?
Erst der Spaß, dann das Vergnügen/first the fun, then the enjoyment
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

I remember that, right after Brexit, most of the immigrant workers were either forced to leave the UK or they just left. That included nurses, farmworkers, etc. Harvests were rotting in the fields because there was no one to pick them. If that's still the case, of course they must import food.