Switching Health Insurances

Everything related to health insurance
Julia2727

Switching Health Insurances

Post by Julia2727 »

I'm in need of some assistance and was hoping I could find help here. Currently, I'm unemployed and self-employed with 0 income and unfortunately not eligible for Arbeitgeldlos. I'm now a voluntary member of TK insurance. Following my work resignation, TK switched me to voluntary insurance with a minimum contribution. However, TK's premiums are quite high, and I'm considering switching to expat insurance until I secure a full-time job. It's worth noting that the expat insurance will only cover me until September, as there's a limit of 5 years from my arrival in Germany.

I reached out to TK to inquire about returning to them if I don't find a job, and they informed me that it's not possible. Apparently, I can't switch back as a voluntary member. Is this accurate? Interestingly, TK's website indicates that I can apply for voluntary membership as a self-employed again so I am confused. I've done some research online and stumbled upon articles suggesting that once you're privately insured as a freelancer, switching back to public health insurance isn't straightforward. However, they don't delve into the reasons behind this. Could someone provide more information on this matter?

Additionally, I'm curious if there are any other insurance options available in Germany besides expat insurance or statutory insurance? While I'm aware of private insurances, they likely incur similar costs to TK's voluntary contributions. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
PandaMunich

Re: Switching Health Insurances

Post by PandaMunich »

Julia2727 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:02 am I'm in need of some assistance and was hoping I could find help here. Currently, I'm unemployed and self-employed with 0 income and unfortunately not eligible for Arbeitgeldlos. I'm now a voluntary member of TK insurance. Following my work resignation, TK switched me to voluntary insurance with a minimum contribution. However, TK's premiums are quite high, and I'm considering switching to expat insurance until I secure a full-time job. It's worth noting that the expat insurance will only cover me until September, as there's a limit of 5 years from my arrival in Germany.

I reached out to TK to inquire about returning to them if I don't find a job, and they informed me that it's not possible. Apparently, I can't switch back as a voluntary member. Is this accurate?
Yes, it's true.
Please see here for a Finanztip article on this: https://www-finanztip-de.translate.goog ... r_pto=wapp
Julia2727 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:02 am Interestingly, TK's website indicates that I can apply for voluntary membership as a self-employed again so I am confused. I've done some research online and stumbled upon articles suggesting that once you're privately insured as a freelancer, switching back to public health insurance isn't straightforward. However, they don't delve into the reasons behind this. Could someone provide more information on this matter?
The reason is to avoid people playing the system, i.e. that they use "cheap" private health insurance when they're young and then switch back into public health insurance once they get older and their private insurance would be more expensive than public insurance.