Are my contents insured in rented accomodation?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisici elit
alma.freya

Are my contents insured in rented accomodation?

Post by alma.freya »

I am renting an apartment and would like to know if it is typical to purchase contents insurance (Hausratversicherung) specifically for my personal items?

The apartment has a built in kitchen, and I assume that is covered by the owners home insurance?
Franklan

Re: Are my contents insured in rented accomodation?

Post by Franklan »

alma.freya wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:50 pm I am renting an apartment and would like to know if it is typical to purchase contents insurance (Hausratversicherung) specifically for my personal items?

The apartment has a built in kitchen, and I assume that is covered by the owners home insurance?
"Hausratversicherung" covers your possessions. As you do not own the kitchen, it is not your possession -> it is not covered by your "Hausratversicherung".

Situations where you need that: One of the electric devices you possess causes a fire, and the place burns down. Or a burglar breaks in and steals your possessions.

Suppose you were to break the kitchen (for example, because some of your electric devices causes a fire), you would be liable for the damage as you have broken someone else's property. To be insured for this, you need "liability insurance" -> "Haftpflichtversicherung".
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

I live in a rented home, the rent agreement requires me to have Haftpflichtversicherung AND Hausratversicherung.
Erst der Spaß, dann das Vergnügen/first the fun, then the enjoyment
Krieg

Post by Krieg »

You need Hausratversicherung for your own possessions and third party liability insurance (Haftpflichtversicherung) for damages to other people's possessions, in case of renting third party insurance will help you if you accidentally damage something in the apartment. And if you ride a bicycle, third party insurance is a very good idea to have.
alma.freya

Post by alma.freya »

Ok I just got some Hausratversicherung from HUK24 (who also provide my Haftpflichtversicherung). It was only 25 € pa + 45 € pa to cover my bicycles.