Proposed bill in California to ignore after hours "work"

Anything that doesn't fit into the other subforums of Miscellaneous themes
Fraufruit

Proposed bill in California to ignore after hours "work"

Post by Fraufruit »

A San Francisco lawmaker is proposing a bill that would make California the first state in the country to give workers the right to ignore after-hours calls, emails and texts from their employers.

The state bill – AB 2751 – introduced by Assemblyman Matt Haney (D-San Francisco), would create a “right-to-disconnect” law that guarantees workers uninterrupted personal and family time, free from calls or messages after work hours. It also mandates employers to create and publish plans to implement the new law into their policies and empower the California Labor Commissioner’s Office to investigate and fine employers who habitually violate it.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/want-ignore- ... 57386.html

I think this is great and much needed. I remember back when my ex got his first company mobile. It was awful.
LeonG

Re: Proposed bill in California to ignore after hours "work"

Post by LeonG »

Fraufruit wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:12 pm I think this is great and much needed. I remember back when my ex got his first company mobile. It was awful.
I had an employer who would call me on my home phone, sometimes as late as midnight. Then would ask me the next day why I didn't pick up.
Metall

Re: Proposed bill in California to ignore after hours "work"

Post by Metall »

The law is much needed all over the world, gotta start somewhere.
A former (German) employer basically chained me to my company phone. I refused a company phone in my current job, didn’t give them my private number, either.