So what's with the Maklers now?!

Anything that doesn't fit into the other subforums of German legalese, paper work, red tape
Escafusa

So what's with the Maklers now?!

Post by Escafusa »

What is exactly the new rigmarole with Maklers when buying and selling properties? Up until a few years ago there were Makler fees for the buyer when purchasing a property, if a Makler was involved - at least that was our experience on our second property which ended up being a buy-to-let.
We're thinking of a change - so this would probably involve selling our our main property and buying another.
Do I understand correctly that there are now compulsory fees for the seller as well?
Are Maklers now simply making double the amont of money or what? :|
Last edited by Escafusa on Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpiderPig

Re: So what's with the Maklers now?!

Post by SpiderPig »

I think it depends on the Makler... but I thought it was "the Norm" to do a 50/50 deal on makler fees when selling...
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

As far as I know, it's up to the seller when they list it. The buyer can choose to make an offer or walk away.

Edit: I looked it up. Due to a law from 2020 the buyer should not pay more to the makler than the seller so you can go with seller pays all, 50/50 or somewhere in between. Before 2020 it was customary in some states to do 50/50 and in some for the buyer to pay all.
Escafusa

Post by Escafusa »

We're in BW. First purchase didn't pay anything as there was no Makler. Second purchase we paid the Makler fees in full. Both were prior to the change you mentioned, which I was aware of.

However I do not understand how this is being implemented. Maklers are now able to charge both the buyer and the seller the same fees (a percentage of the sale price) i.e. twice, so they can make literally double the amount of money on every sale compared to before the change?
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

Are they charging double though or charging the same and splitting? Do you remember the percentage you paid when you bought? I bought in 2015 and paid the full fee myself which was 5.95%. Looking at a few current listings, the percentage for the buyer seems to vary from 2.38% going up to 4.16. If the seller is paying the same, the total fee for the makler is 4.76-8.32% Apparently they can charge as much as they want though but again, you can pick a makler with a lower fee or choose not to use one.
Escafusa

Post by Escafusa »

I think in some cases they are actually making double as they are charging the full fee to both seller and buyer. On some adverts a 'Doppelprovision' is even mentioned.
Of course we can choose not to use a Makler if we sell, which would save some money. But most properties we've been looking at have a Makler already involved, so we'd be looking at paying the fees at least once.
I just find it odd that suddenly they can make double the amount of money than they could before - and on every sale!
This is only going to bump up prices further, as people are bound to calculate this in on their selling price. I know I would. We'll still move if we find something we like, but I think others will be put off by the high fees, - it's also making it harder also for people to buy and get away from expensive renting.