Low voltage current on outer surface of Floor lamp

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisici elit
Sx4

Low voltage current on outer surface of Floor lamp

Post by Sx4 »

I don't know if this is the right forum or place for a question like this, but the title "volt, ampere and Watt" encouraged me :)

I recently bought a new Dimmable LED floor standing lamp. After plugging it in, the brushed steel surface had a tingling/vibratory (weird, hard to describe) feel. So I tested the lamp with a tester (see picture). Surely there is something wrong? I tested in a few other sockets of the house and it did the same thing. I am thinking the lamp is defective (shorted somewhere)...but realized that some other lamps in the house are doing the same? Anyone knows whats gong on? I thought there was defect in grounding, but to my test it feels okay.Image
Last edited by Sx4 on Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franklan

Re: Low voltage current on outer surface of Floor lamp

Post by Franklan »

Do you own this place or are you a tenant?
Sx4

Post by Sx4 »

Franklan wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:53 pm Do you own this place or are you a tenant?
Tenant
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Splendid! Tell your landlord.

Some years ago, our tenant had that sensation when she touched the kitchen sink faucet. Himself went over with an electrician immediately and it was sorted. I don't remember the diagnosis. Sorry.
Sx4

Post by Sx4 »

Fraufruit wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:00 pm Splendid! Tell your landlord.
Yeah, that was the point.....to know if it is something to have the landlord involved and raise an alarm (instead of looking like a fool :oops:
hh-sailor

Post by hh-sailor »

A fuse will only blow if it overloads. That is long after you're dead. Only there to protect the equipment/wiring

What you are demonstrating is a failed RCD (Germans say FI Schalter). This should break the circuit if a tiny residual current leaks to earth. This protects you!!

Urgently get the landlord or have the electrics tested or pay to have it done and bill the landlord (may be a lot faster)

That lamp is dangerous - don't use it!

PS
I'm not a pro electrician.
Franklan

Post by Franklan »

hh-sailor wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:57 am A fuse will only blow if it overloads. That is long after you're dead. Only there to protect the equipment/wiring

What you are demonstrating is a failed RCD (Germans say FI Schalter). This should break the circuit if a tiny residual current leaks to earth. This protects you!!

Urgently get the landlord or have the electrics tested or pay to have it done and bill the landlord (may be a lot faster)

That lamp is dangerous - don't use it!

PS
I'm not a pro electrician.
The question is if the flat even has an RCD. Depending how old it is -> not! Again, tell the landlord.

Finding out if there is an RCD in your flat: Is there a device that has a "Test" button on it?
FI.jpg
FI.jpg (76.98 KiB) Viewed 131 times
Sx4

Post by Sx4 »

hh-sailor wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 10:57 am That lamp is dangerous - don't use it!
Thanks, I returned the lamp to the store and showed them the picture to let them know it was defective (so they don't sell it to others). I will check about the RCD....