Gardening

Anything that doesn't fit into the other subforums of Miscellaneous themes
Emkay

Re: Gardening

Post by Emkay »

Geraniums finally outside today for the summer. I didn’t have the heart to throw any away last winter as they were still flowering in November. Having never successfully kept any over winter in our garage or shed, they got shoved into various free corners of our house. Just need to watch for the Eisheiligen weather thing in May. Never really understood what that means?
kiplette

Post by kiplette »

I think the Eisheiligen thing is no longer a real marker what with climate change and all. They are Saints Days in the middle of May, associated with the last frost, but for example this year, I think that's what stung us 2 weekends ago, and this week planting out seems safe to do.

A brilliant thing in our Kleingarten is that the pond which sadly sprung a leak about 7 years ago and has just been an embarrassing wart on the landscape since, has suddenly sprouted newts in droves, so we have carefully investigated (giving all deference to the Naturschutz of the newts), found and mended some leaks and hopefully re-invented the ehemalige fishpond as a wildlife pond. It is so exciting - newts are so cool, it's like a mini Jurassic park in there :)
If anyone has ideas for covering/protecting the liner on the steep sides of the pond, that'd be great. The shallow half is easy - fleece, under-soil, rocks, plants, gravel, looks fab, but the original shape has the other half pretty steeply sloping and that's harder to do.
Tap

Post by Tap »

kiplette wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:45 pm I think the Eisheiligen thing is no longer a real marker what with climate change and all. They are Saints Days in the middle of May, associated with the last frost, but for example this year, I think that's what stung us 2 weekends ago, and this week planting out seems safe to do.
You are right, the Eisheiligen is just a name given to a week in the middle of May, but it’s a fun old farmer’s rule and this year has shown us that it’s not a bad rule to follow. We had lovely weather at the end of March and some nice days during April, but that’s still too early to plant out the more sensitive plants. There’s always the possibility of a frost before the middle of May, some years we have it, some we don’t, so the Eisheiligen, or the middle of May, is a good guide. The weather does indeed seem settled now, so I’ve moved my tomato plants outside.

Hope you manage to sort our your pond.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

Eisheiligen? Schafskälte!

The Schafskälte, sheeps cold, is a possible period of cold weather in June, the old farmers knew about it, their grandparents told them, so they sheared the sheep later when the risk of cold weather was negligible. Oftentimes the poor beasts suffered in the normal warm weather, but if the Schafskälte occured they could die of cold.

Old sayings* are great, they are the result of long experience of weather, animals, people.

* Contentment is found oftener in cottages than in castles.
Erst der Spaß, dann das Vergnügen/first the fun, then the enjoyment
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

Guys, do your tomatoes grow?

I'm pretty frustrated because, same as in past years, the tomato plants I started from the seed are very promising at the beginning, but soon after that they stop growing and die. Different types but generally almost same behavior. Not all of them, but most. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

The few that seem to be doing better are moving outdoor (some real outdoor, some in the mini-greenhouse I'm getting today)

Chilies this year are doing well, though.
kiplette

Post by kiplette »

Thus far, no problems, but I am way behind you, so that's not necessarily meaningful.

You have had massive crops in the past - were they bought plants, or your own grown from seed ones?
PandaMunich

Post by PandaMunich »

Alberto wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:35 am Guys, do your tomatoes grow?

I'm pretty frustrated because, same as in past years, the tomato plants I started from the seed are very promising at the beginning, but soon after that they stop growing and die. Different types but generally almost same behavior. Not all of them, but most. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

The few that seem to be doing better are moving outdoor (some real outdoor, some in the mini-greenhouse I'm getting today)
You are using 500ml yoghurt pots for the seedlings, aren't you?
Did you make enough holes at the bottom?
Because tomatoes do not like wet feet, if the soil becomes too wet, their roots begin to rot:

You cannot move the tomatoes out completely, you first have to harden them, i.e. 1 hour outside on day 1, then 2 hours outside on day 2 and so on: https://plantura.garden/uk/vegetables/t ... f-tomatoes

And move them into the shade first, or the leaves will get sunburned, i.e. turn white: https://mattmagnusson.com/tomato-leaves-white/
Robinson100

Post by Robinson100 »

Agree with Panda, but also, do not water from above - they don´t seem to like getting their leaves wet.
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

Thanks for the tomato answers.
Yes, I did do plenty of holes at the bottom of the 500ml yogurt pots.

Good news: they now got their first step onto the property ladder🙂
IMG_20240511_121109_697.jpg
IMG_20240511_121109_697.jpg (3.92 MiB) Viewed 44 times
IMG_20240511_121058_446.jpg
IMG_20240511_121058_446.jpg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 44 times
Attachments
IMG_20240511_162216_312.jpg
IMG_20240511_162216_312.jpg (3.67 MiB) Viewed 34 times