UK general election 2024, who to vote for?

Anything that doesn't fit into the other subforums of Miscellaneous themes
Fietsrad

UK general election 2024, who to vote for?

Post by Fietsrad »

We talked about this before, I managed to get registered to vote in the town I last lived in.

Getting a postal vote is another process, not done that yet. But if I do not I shall be in the % who did not vote, that ist a statement in itself.

The Guardian has lots of stories, everyday something new trying to discredit "the natural party of government"🙃
Erst der Spaß, dann das Vergnügen/first the fun, then the enjoyment
GaryC

Re: UK general election 2024, who to vote for?

Post by GaryC »

Politics is complicated and very personal but as a UK resident I think we need a change of party as the current government has, in my view, run into the buffers and the party itself is fracturing as extremism takes hold. They are riddled with scandal to such an extent that their 2019 majority has been almost halved - not a good record!

I am not sure what your constituency will be but I would hope people without strong political allegiances would vote tactically to facilitate the change I think this country desperately needs. So far as the current MP is not a conservative, then vote for that party and where the current incumbent "needs to be replaced" then look at which party came in second last time and choose them.

But I am sure there are as many opinions on this are there are member of this group!
alma.freya

Post by alma.freya »

I'm registered in Bristol which is traditionally strong labour, so green party will get my vote
hooperski

Post by hooperski »

It's a sad state of affairs when people are saying they will vote for Reform UK, because the Tories aren't right-wing enough.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

The Guardian reports that an expert thinks labour has a 99% chance of forming the next government. Seems a bit implausible. I wonder what odds you can get for a bet on the tories to win?

Labour was expected to win in 1992 but Major was reelected. I wonder if the present situation is similar to that before Blair won in 1997.

Mandelson said, talking about rejoining the EU is not on the menu. Looking forward to voting for the EU parliament on June 9.
Keleth

Post by Keleth »

This is the first time for many years I struggle to say Labour although the important thing is to get the Tories out.

Greens... Enticing but are they the sort of people who would put aside some of their beliefs to alleviate problems for people.

Reform... The rebirth of the NF and the UKs equivalent of the AfD. Don´t think people realise they´re not a party as such but a registered company who´s members get absolutely no vote on who leads it. Very populist policies but absolutely no information on how those policies would be financed.
Tax cuts, improved public services, armed forces brought up to modern day standards, no NHS waiting lists within 1 year of them coming to power, and a few more unrealistic policies. There is absolutely no way with who leads them that they´re going to tax corporations more.
It´s their promise to "stop the boats" and do away with immigration that will win them votes, you just need to look back at Brexit to know this. Many racists will as the saying goes cut their noses off to spite their face.

Liberals... Do they still exist?

Labour... Labour but not as we know it. They have their fair share of corruption and they´ve already started going back on some of their previous promises. Probably the best of a bad bunch.

On a personal note although I´ve never liked the Tories and would never vote for them and have always believed anyone who voted for them was an idiot this time I strongly believe that anyone who votes for them does not deserve a vote.
Could anyone on here who would vote Conservative give me 1 good reason why.
A vote for Conservative is a vote for yourself not a vote for the good of the country.
I cannot think of any modern time where the country has been in such a mess as it is now unless of course you´re one of the wealthy.

Whoever wins is going to have a hard time making anything out of the mess it is in.
hooperski

Post by hooperski »

Doesn't really matter which party is in power, they still have to obey their globalistic paymasters. i.e. The W.H.O. and the W.E.F.
In the words of the Who song; "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss..."
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

hooperski wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:42 pm Doesn't really matter which party is in power, they still have to obey their globalistic paymasters. i.e. The W.H.O. and the W.E.F.
In the words of the Who song; "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss..."
Yeah I'm going to lose patience with this site really quickly if I have to read crap like this: How are the World Health Organisation and the World Economic Forum 'global paymasters'? If you're going to spew dumb conspiracy theories, at least try and keep pertinent the acronyms of whichever organisation you consider to be 'shady'.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

Local elections tomorrow, May 2, could provide some pointers.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

Ms Elphicke of the conservative tories defected to labour, but I thought she was on the right wing, not the left🙃