Law to modernize nationality law (StARModG) has been signed and published

Anything that doesn't fit into the other subforums of German legalese, paper work, red tape
Eric7

Re: Law to modernize nationality law (StARModG) has been signed and published

Post by Eric7 »

Krieg wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:22 am
If AfD were in power having dual citizenship won't help. In AfD eyes dual citizenship is good, because that would allow them to take away German citizenship from people if they have another citizenship, this wouldn't be possible when people had only German citizenship because you can't leave people stateless. And even worse, AfD thinks in this way they can get rid of born Germans who are too friendly to foreigners if they ever take another citizenship.
I'm possibly missing something here.... but have the AfD actually expressed these ideas/policies?
When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Since January, a wave of protests against the far right has swept across Germany, triggered by a report that right-wing extremists met to discuss the deportation of millions of immigrants, including some with German citizenship.

AfD members were present at the meeting, along with Martin Sellner, a persuasive young Austrian with neo-Nazi links and convictions for violent extremism.

The meeting, in November, bore an eerie resemblance to the Wannsee Conference, when the Nazis agreed to the so-called “final solution" — the systematic round-ups that led to the murder of 6 million Jews.

Just like in the winter of 1942, when senior Nazi officials met covertly in a villa by a lake outside Berlin, the recent meeting also took place in secrecy at a villa not far from the German capital.

AfD party leaders have sought to distance themselves from the meeting, saying the party had no organizational or financial links to the event, that it wasn’t responsible for what was discussed there and members who attended did so in a purely personal capacity.
https://time.com/6957927/german-nationalism-afd/
Eric7

Post by Eric7 »

Fraufruit wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:26 am
Since January, a wave of protests against the far right has swept across Germany, triggered by a report that right-wing extremists met to discuss the deportation of millions of immigrants, including some with German citizenship.

AfD members were present at the meeting, along with Martin Sellner, a persuasive young Austrian with neo-Nazi links and convictions for violent extremism.

The meeting, in November, bore an eerie resemblance to the Wannsee Conference, when the Nazis agreed to the so-called “final solution" — the systematic round-ups that led to the murder of 6 million Jews.

Just like in the winter of 1942, when senior Nazi officials met covertly in a villa by a lake outside Berlin, the recent meeting also took place in secrecy at a villa not far from the German capital.

AfD party leaders have sought to distance themselves from the meeting, saying the party had no organizational or financial links to the event, that it wasn’t responsible for what was discussed there and members who attended did so in a purely personal capacity.
https://time.com/6957927/german-nationalism-afd/
So that's a no then.

Weren't some CDU/CSU members also at this meeting? That must mean the CDU/CSU also plan to implement this policy if they get into power.

There will always be extremists in any party. That doesn't mean that these extreme views will translate into party policy.
When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.
kaffeemitmilch

Post by kaffeemitmilch »

Krieg wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:39 am I correct myself here, the Zentrale Einbürgerungsstelle in Berlin is only for Berlin, every state will manage the applications themselves. The consolidation in Berlin is because before there were offices in every district. So the situation in Berlin, while still dire, it is not as critical as I initially thought.
Hmm, you sure about this? I remember reading somewhere it will be from all over the country. I have to see if I can find this now. However, the website of the RP Darmstadt does not have any information on this, so maybe you ARE right. It's all very confusing.
Last edited by kaffeemitmilch on Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaffeemitmilch

Post by kaffeemitmilch »

The benefit of an American getting German/EU citizenship is to vote in the country in which you live. That's the most important. The benefits of the PASSPORT are also many. You get to go places where US citizenship is difficult. Plus, you just have another passport in case the other is lost or is being renewed, etc. You may want to retire in another EU country. It's not just about working rights. And if the AfD do kick us out and are then removed, we could come back. In the end, I do believe it's worth it at least to have a say here.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Voting here isn't so important to me. I can still vote in my own country where my son, granddaughter and great granddaugther live.

There aren't many places I want to travel any more. Been there and done that. I go to places in the U.S. to see family and other places to see friends. I enjoy traveling in Europe these days.

Been retired for years.

Your points are very valid, though, for others.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

I and many others applied for citizenship after the bxxxxt referendum result in 2016, before that I thought it was unnecesary and I did not want to part with about 500€, total costs (application, language test, 33 questions about the constitution).

Now I am retired, I do not resent spending the 500€, and I do feel smug about having two nationalities. Some other nationalities (UK!) charge much more, and there are earnings limits etc.

I shall be voting in the european Parliament election soon. By post of course.
Erst der Spaß, dann das Vergnügen/first the fun, then the enjoyment
Metall

Post by Metall »

If you want to apply for dual citizenship now, do you start by applying at your town? I called the City of Munich and they still are applying the old law. They have no idea when things will change over to the new law, as in setting up new procedures, requirements, rules.
alma.freya

Post by alma.freya »

Metall wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:15 pm If you want to apply for dual citizenship now, do you start by applying at your town?
Yes
Metall wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:15 pm I called the City of Munich and they still are applying the old law.
The new law applies from June 27, 2024, 3 months after the law was published:

(1) Dieses Gesetz tritt vorbehaltlich der Absätze 2 und 3 drei Monate nach Verkündung in Kraft.
https://www.recht.bund.de/bgbl/1/2024/104/VO.html

Wann soll das Gesetz in Kraft treten?
Das Gesetz zur Modernisierung des Staatsangehörigkeitsrechts tritt in wesentlichen Teilen am 27. Juni 2024 in Kraft.

https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/faqs ... in%20Kraft.

Metall wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:15 pm They have no idea
:lol:

You can apply now and in the field where it asks if you want to renounce your current citizenship, check the NO box and in the reason field you can reference the new law (this assumes they won't process you application before June 27).
kaffeemitmilch

Post by kaffeemitmilch »

Frankfurt already has the new law on their website, and are saying you can apply based on that now (probably since they won't get to it before the law change) and you probably won't be asked whether you will renounce your current nationality.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

Friedrich Merz might be the next Bundeskanzler, thr CDU might want to change the law back again.
Erst der Spaß, dann das Vergnügen/first the fun, then the enjoyment