e-scooter, because Fahrrad too anstrengend

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisici elit
Franklan

Re: e-scooter, because Fahrrad too anstrengend

Post by Franklan »

Krieg wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:22 pm Munich is banning e-scooters in the public transport, their reason: because they use batteries. They brought data from fires in other countries, forgetting that e-scooters are heavily controlled in Germany and basically there are no crappy ones in the market. Sad day for micromobility.
Too bad, I was just contemplating to buy one... :-(
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Seems unfair to the thousands who have bought them already.

I haven't heard of any e-scooter fires in Munich.
Krieg

Post by Krieg »

Fraufruit wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:06 pm Seems unfair to the thousands who have bought them already.

I haven't heard of any e-scooter fires in Munich.
The last fire inside a train was 40 years ago.
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

I have heard that they tend to catch on fire when people try to charge them with the wrong charger which probably happens mostly when people have stolen them. They could do away with that risk by making all the chargers universal as was done with cell phones.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

LeonG wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:28 pm I have heard that they tend to catch on fire when people try to charge them with the wrong charger which probably happens mostly when people have stolen them. They could do away with that risk by making all the chargers universal as was done with cell phones.
That's what I've heard. Pretty sure nobody is charging in the train. :P
Metall

Post by Metall »

I suspect this is the first step in banning them in major German cities .
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

One can think what one will about €bikes but I think people who get €bikes should be encouraged to keep their conventional cycles ("pushbikes"!) too and even ride them occasionally.

Then they could make valid comparisons, in particular regarding weight and unwieldiness of €bikes.
Erst der Spaß, dann das Vergnügen/first the fun, then the enjoyment
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

Fietsrad wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:04 pm One can think what one will about €bikes but I think people who get €bikes should be encouraged to keep their conventional cycles ("pushbikes"!) too and even ride them occasionally.
Riding a pushbike, like it or not, already provides financial and health and enviromental benefits.
So I would say people ARE already encouraged to keep and use their pushbikes, no matter they buy an €bike or a Tesla or whatever.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

Sometimes the trader offers a big discount for handing in a conventional cycle.

Makes s€nse, servicing an €bike ist much more lucrative than servicing a real cycle (without a motor).
ooch

Post by ooch »

B-bikes (bio-bikes)
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

Alberto wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:55 pm
Fietsrad wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:04 pm One can think what one will about €bikes but I think people who get €bikes should be encouraged to keep their conventional cycles ("pushbikes"!) too and even ride them occasionally.
Riding a pushbike, like it or not, already provides financial and health and enviromental benefits.
So I would say people ARE already encouraged to keep and use their pushbikes, no matter they buy an €bike or a Tesla or whatever.
Oftentimes the dealers give a credit for a conventional cycle, good business, they can make more money selling replacement batteries etc, heavier €bikes oftener need new tyr€s too😕

There are no significant hills where I live, but lots of apparently young healthy people use €bikes. Too much money I guess🙃
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

I know of 15yr old boys ecycling short distances to school.
After all, perhaps their parents or elder brothers DRIVE to the gym. You know, for fitness.... :roll:
alma.freya

Post by alma.freya »

Alberto wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:00 am I know of 15yr old boys ecycling short distances to school.
After all, perhaps their parents or elder brothers DRIVE to the gym. You know, for fitness.... :roll:
Should they walk instead? Perhaps after school they have to cycle a long distance for after school activities.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

I often wonder why some people care so much how other people choose to get around.

Mind boggling.
alma.freya

Post by alma.freya »

Fraufruit wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:53 pm I often wonder why some people care so much how other people choose to get around.

Mind boggling.
The spirit of ToyTown lives on.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

I care a lot about my safety (and the safety of others!). Fast €bikes and €scooters are a curse on narrow cycleways. Countless motor vehicle drivers routinely ignore the law. Speed kills.

It is a great shame that the Polizei do next to nothing to enforce traffic law. It could be so easy.
In think that 3000 "accidental" deaths in wrecks a year in Germany is unacceptable. Plus thousands permanently disabled.

Other opinions may be available.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Point taken.

There were and are speeding bicyles all over the city long before ebikes were a thing. That's one of the reasons I stopped riding mine. It's also a reason I don't drive a car in the city, either.
Krieg

Post by Krieg »

Alberto wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:00 am I know of 15yr old boys ecycling short distances to school.
What's wrong with driving to the gym for fitness? There are two types of exercises you can do in a gym: Cardio and Resistance. Resistance training is done with weights and machines. If you ever visit a gym you will realise that cardio is probably 20% of the gym and that's already a lot, probably it is closer to 10%. So while some people do cardio in the gym, the majority that is done there is resistance. I myself do not do much cardio in the gym when the weather is good because I do it somewhere else, but I do some during winter because my alternatives for things I enjoy doing are limited. And yes, sometimes I drive to the gym, mostly during winter. Of course in TV and movies when they show people in the gym they show them doing cardio, mostly running on a treadmill or pedalling a static bicycle.

This thread is pretty strange, it is so judgemental. And I find ironic that in an Expat forum people are exercising the most German traits with full force: What it is good for me must be good for everyone and the way I do things is the correct one and everyone else who does it differently is wrong.