Could I go back to the UK?

Anything that doesn't fit into the other subforums of Miscellaneous themes
Fraufruit

Re: Could I go back to the UK?

Post by Fraufruit »

yesterday wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:13 pm You have to understand a lot of people in the UK are skint

If an old Brit goes to Thailand and marries a young Thai girl, then as his wife, he brings her back to the UK, they have several kids.

Then the older BRIT dies, without any money, so the UK tax payer than has pay for the Thai girl and kids for 10s of years. The UK Government does not like this, thats why they have the law, that you cannot bring a poor wife in to the UK, unless the partner is earing enough, that if something unfortunate should happen, there should be enough money, to help paying with the costs.

Personally I can agree with both sides. You only get full access to the system if you are a BRIT, foreigners get a worse deal
Wouldn't it be the same if said old Brit marries a poor Brit girl and has several kids with her?
yesterday

Post by yesterday »

Wouldn't it be the same if said old Brit marries a poor Brit girl and has several kids with her?
[/quote]

No its not the same, the Brit girl has UK citizenship, the UK Government cannot ( at the moment ) ban a UK citizen coming back to the UK or let her live in the UK, except for Shamima Begum, of course. Is much easier to block a foreigner coming to the UK, than a Brit.

I think the idea is British people should always tget he best deal in Britain, but not foreigners.

If the older Brit marries a Thai girl, while the Thai girl is just visiting the UK, I guess she would have to leave the UK when the visa finishes, even if she was pregnant.

Before BREXIT, if the older BRIT married, someone from Poland, then the UK Government could not stop the Pole, coming to the UK, because of freedom movement rules in the EU. These rules were, a factor in the UK leaving the EU.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

I get what you're saying.

It's kind of a pity, though. Love happens everywhere.
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

yesterday wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:13 pm Then the older BRIT dies, without any money, so the UK tax payer than has pay for the Thai girl and kids for 10s of years. The UK Government does not like this, thats why they have the law, that you cannot bring a poor wife in to the UK, unless the partner is earing enough, that if something unfortunate should happen, there should be enough money, to help paying with the costs.
The way it is set up though, they are just making sure the old guy is earning enough money to support her at the time of sponsorship. That says nothing about his future income or whether he has savings. A couple of years later, he might retire or die penniless and wife and kids end up on benefits.
Keleth

Post by Keleth »

Fraufruit wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:59 pm

It's kind of a pity, though. Love happens everywhere.
I don´t think love has a lot to do with it when these old people go to Thailand and come back with a new young wife.
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

yesterday wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:13 pm You have to understand a lot of people in the UK are skint

If an old Brit goes to Thailand and marries a young Thai girl, then as his wife, he brings her back to the UK, they have several kids.

Then the older BRIT dies, without any money, so the UK tax payer than has pay for the Thai girl and kids for 10s of years. The UK Government does not like this, thats why they have the law, that you cannot bring a poor wife in to the UK, unless the partner is earing enough, that if something unfortunate should happen, there should be enough money, to help paying with the costs.

Personally I can agree with both sides. You only get full access to the system if you are a BRIT, foreigners get a worse deal
So a poor Brit can live in his country with his wife only if she's Brit, because he's poor.
But a rich brit can live in his country with his wife even if she's not Brit, because he's rich.
I find it wrong. Not matter what explanation.

Also: how much does this happen? Surely it was overamplified, Daily Mail etc.
And also: it is not the role of government to feed poor residents of the land. So a poor widow, Brit or Thai, shouldn't be different. I know of course in reality there are some benefits etc.

And also: like it or not, Britain NEEDS workers. All sorts of them, the cardiologist and the software engineer from India, and they earn a lot. Britain needs them because they haven't got enough. And they also need low pay workers, in agriculture and hospitality, for the very same reason: because they haven't got enough of them.
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

Alberto wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:52 pm So a poor Brit can live in his country with his wife only if she's Brit, because he's poor.
But a rich brit can live in his country with his wife even if she's not Brit, because he's rich.
Immigration operates by law and the law does not give a Brit the absolute right to live with a foreign spouse in the UK. Only if you make a certain amount of money.

Canada has a different take on it where spouses and dependent kids are exempt from income requirements.
Alberto

Post by Alberto »

LeonG wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:37 am
Alberto wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:52 pm So a poor Brit can live in his country with his wife only if she's Brit, because he's poor.
Immigration operates by law and the law does not give a Brit the absolute right to live with a foreign spouse in the UK. Only if you make a certain amount of money.
Yes, of course.
What I'm saying: the law is bad.
Keleth

Post by Keleth »

Alberto wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:52 pm
And also: it is not the role of government to feed poor residents of the land. So a poor widow, Brit or Thai, shouldn't be different. I know of course in reality there are some benefits etc.
What?
Expand on what you mean here.