Anything that doesn't fit into the other subforums of Miscellaneous themes
Nixon

Re: How did you learn German?

Post by Nixon »

I am hoping to get there someday too.
kiplette

Post by kiplette »

We arrived in 2000, bounced back to UK 2003-5, here ever since.

I used tapes and CDs, videos etc. to pick up basics. Had to chat at Kindy and school obviously - went well as you would imagine. Got better over time, but we speak English at home and don't work in a German environment.

Roll on Brexit, bit of panic ensued, did a cheap/free course available and learned useful things like 'my rocket system is malfunctioning' and 'can I park my tank in your barn overnight'. Enough to pass B1 at any rate. Citizenship sorted, yay!

Then we were offered proper German courses from an actual language school, but we couldn't do the times of the B2 so we did C1. We did a few months of it but didn't get as far as the test - the instructor asked for more hours for the group, which we didn't get. It was jolly difficult.

I guess I mostly learn from my oldies in English class. A friend arranges a walk once a week for his class of refugees to practice speaking whilst doing something active, and that's a great new opportunity. Fluency depends entirely on the context. Any stress, all the vocab and grammar goes out of the window....
HEM

Post by HEM »

kiplette wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:59 pm Any stress, all the vocab and grammar goes out of the window....
That is very true...
kaffeemitmilch

Post by kaffeemitmilch »

I moved here in 2013 from the Netherlands. Learned Dutch on my own. Too cheap for courses. Same with German, except I basically 'converted' the Dutch to German, and slapped on the additional rules. It's far from perfect, but apparently I'm at C1. I don't FEEL like I'm at C1, but my comprehension is apparently close. Speaking and writing, on the other hand, is probably between B1 and B2. I now need to polish this turd somehow.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

Dutch and Deutsch are quite similar, and belong to the same language family as Englisch, I guess that is why we find ourselves speaking Denglisch.

If someone speaks two very different languages, say Chinese and Englisch, maybe they would be better able to avoid mixing the languages.
Erst der Spaß, dann das Vergnügen/first the fun, then the enjoyment
kaffeemitmilch

Post by kaffeemitmilch »

Fietsrad wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:16 pm Dutch and Deutsch are quite similar, and belong to the same language family as Englisch, I guess that is why we find ourselves speaking Denglisch.

If someone speaks two very different languages, say Chinese and Englisch, maybe they would be better able to avoid mixing the languages.
Absolutely. Every time I go back to the Netherlands, I have a horrible transition period. I mean, I've forgotten a lot anyway, but I can't keep the languages straight at all because I'm not a native speaker of either. However, I'll also be speaking German here and suddenly will only remember the Dutch word for what I want to say. One example is the word boete. I always use this word. Can never remember the German word.
Krieg

Post by Krieg »

kaffeemitmilch wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:41 am
Fietsrad wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:16 pm Dutch and Deutsch are quite similar, and belong to the same language family as Englisch, I guess that is why we find ourselves speaking Denglisch.

Absolutely. Every time I go back to the Netherlands, I have a horrible transition period. I mean, I've forgotten a lot anyway, but I can't keep the languages straight at all because I'm not a native speaker of either. However, I'll also be speaking German here and suddenly will only remember the Dutch word for what I want to say. One example is the word boete. I always use this word. Can never remember the German word.
In my experience learning a language that is very similar to one you already speak (Spanish vs Portuguese) is very easy at the beginning but extremely difficult to completely master it. You will quite fast reach like 90%, but then you will be stuck there, maybe forever.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

Boete (nl): financial penalty (?) German: Bußgeld.

Bote (d): messenger.
Another interesting "Problem": people break into english when they recognize my accent, most people in Germany habe a bit of english.

But most people in english-speaking countries do not have much German.
bramble

Post by bramble »

kaffeemitmilch wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:41 am However, I'll also be speaking German here and suddenly will only remember the Dutch word for what I want to say.
This isn't at all unusual with speakers of two or more languages. I have been a native speaker of English and German since childhood and this also happens to me occasionally. I'll suddenly only remember an English word in the middle of speaking German and vice versa. It's frustating - unless the other person is also familiar with both languages.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

bramble wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:32 am
kaffeemitmilch wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:41 am However, I'll also be speaking German here and suddenly will only remember the Dutch word for what I want to say.
This isn't at all unusual with speakers of two or more languages. I have been a native speaker of English and German since childhood and this also happens to me occasionally. I'll suddenly only remember an English word in the middle of speaking German and vice versa. It's frustating - unless the other person is also familiar with both languages.
A native speaker of two languages, are they really equal, of does one have a tiny "Vorsprung"?
bramble

Post by bramble »

Fietsrad wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 pm A native speaker of two languages, are they really equal, of does one have a tiny "Vorsprung"?
For me they are equal. I still speak English with a slight Welsh lilt and German with a slight Rheinish lilt and shift effortlessly between the two - which has been a great advantage during my working years.
alma.freya

Post by alma.freya »

alma.freya wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:43 am I'm currently studying for the Goethe B1 Speaking module, which I will take in April. I passed the Reading, Listening and Writing modules at the end of February with scores between 80-100% after a month of exam specific training.

I'm quite worried about the Speaking module, however because we know the structure of the exam, it is very hackable and easy to prepare for.

I've been terribly lazy about learning the German and have managed to just about get by in this country thanks to most people knowing English, and my wife helping me when required. My current motivation is obtaining German citizenship, which is now possible without giving up my British citizenship thanks to new legislation. The window is short however, as the next CDU led coalition could attempt to repeal the law.
I had my speaking exam last week and the results will be available within 4 weeks, thought I have been checking the web site daily. I was paired with a shy 16 year old boy from Italy who moved to Germany with his family. The exam is in 2 parts. During part 1 we have to plan something together. Part 2 is a presentation of a random topic. We got 15 minutes to prepare and make some notes. Then the examiners ask us to introduce ourselves and a little about our lives, and then we begin part 1, Zusammen etwas planen. We had to plan an Umzug for a friend; when and where to meet, who would do what, vehicle hire, food and drink etc. He had clearly prepared for the exam, as had I, which makes everything much smoother during the first part of the exam. We went back and forth, both using the Redemittel we already had planned. Then we each presented our give topic. His was about smoking bans in restaurants, and mine was about buying new or used items. We each asked a question about the other's topic at the end, and also answered a question from the examiners (who were very reassuring and relaxed). 60% is a passing grade, and while I know I made many grammar mistakes, we both spoke enough and hit all the points that I am sure we both passed. Overall it was an interesting experience and the examiners were very pleasant.
bethannbitt

Post by bethannbitt »

I have taken a variety of Vhs courses, in person and online, and will continue to do so. Right now I’m in one where we are reading a Charlotte Link mystery, Die Betrogene. I’m enjoying the course format and the 648 page book! I’m also in 2 singing groups and meet with folks at the pub afterwards, where lots of good chit-chat happens. 😂 I work off and on at the after-school program for non-native German speakers at a local grade school. I’m in a fitness class and a T-Th walking group with neighborhood gals. I watch German shows on ARD and hit the movie theater with my friends too. I use many opportunities to strike up conversations with strangers of all ages. I have a cute dog. Need I say more on how that helps?

I guess I have finally learned not to let perfect be the enemy of good with regard to this project of nearly 5 years. And I’m not wed to any one method of learning, perhaps due to my background as a speech & language pathologist. In any case, I am functionally communicating. I got stranded yesterday in the middle of nowhere in 🇨🇭 and managed to solve the issue, all in German, with Swissies. 👏😀🙏
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

Perhaps the speed one speaks the "new" language is significant, I think I speak and write German quite fast.
skadi

Post by skadi »

Honest answer, not sure I really have. Sprachtalent is not something I was at the front of the queue for.

Did some courses to C1 (slightly above my level of incompetence) at the VHS when I arrived here, then promptly found a job where English is the working language. My German then deteriorated rapidly as I don't get anywhere near enough exposure/practice.
Aware that if I decide to stay post retirement, being stuck at B2 level is not sufficient for a full life over here and I will need to improve it.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

I worked mostly in German from the start, fortunately, talking face to face to hundreds of people every week.

Getting a job where you can use English might be good, but plenty of German people can speak or write english, more or less.
bethannbitt

Post by bethannbitt »

Update from she who is clearly possessed: I finished the first Charlotte Link book, Die Betrogene, and on my own started the second book in the series, Die Suche. It’s a mere 654 pages, of which 255 pages are ✅. :D The VHS course for Book 1 isn’t over, and I’ve already gone positively rogue! As a bonus, based on the setting I‘m passively learning about Scalby, Scarborough, and the Yorkshire Moors. All the while I’m improving my German vocabulary and parsing grammar, a deeply rooted childhood instinct.

Hubby smiles at me often not being able to stop reading („just gotta finish this chapter first before I …“), leaving the nightlight on when he wants to sleep, making notecards, and asking him to listen while I read a challenging paragraph aloud and ask for his input. I keep swearing to myself that I’ll take a break before starting Book 3 in the series. :lol: In any case, this is proving to be one among many ways to traipse forward. Hubby is very encouraging and always says „if the subject matter keeps you interested it’s time well spent.“. Getting lots of positive strokes from my German and Swiss buddies too. 💃 💃 💃