Cost Estimate v. Final invoice

Anything that doesn't fit into the other subforums of German legalese, paper work, red tape
Bayrisch_Dude

Cost Estimate v. Final invoice

Post by Bayrisch_Dude »

Good morning you lovely lot. Looking for a bit of advice here.

Hypothetical...something easy. Hmm.. right, new wall tiles in the WC. The tiler come round and it is explained that new wall tiles are needed. Nothing more. The current tiles only cover half way up the four walls. The WC has only a door, toilet and wash basin. The estimate is provided and is, say 1000€. The work is understood.

The job comes round and shortly thereafter the invoice. The cost is now 1500€. Seems the estimate showed 10 hours, but 15 hours were actually worked and an additional part that seemed to not be included in the estimate. Emmm.... Also, there seems to be a point of unfinished work. Example: where the tiles end, again half way up the walls, appear rough and unfinished.

Oh, that will be an additional cost to make it appear finished and it seems the worker was slower than expected.

I've no come across a situation such as this. Could an argument be made to these two issues, or a matter of suck it up.

I could have understood an extra hour or even two of work, but 150%?

If I tell a client in my shop that a bag will cost 800€, that is what it will cost. I know how long it will take. If it takes longer than I initially expected due to my own method, error or bad planning, it's on me. I'm no going to charge the client 1200€! FFS.

Thoughts?
Shameful plug: visit my website www.lederwaren-allgaeu.de
Shameful plug Nr. 2: instagram - scottishknightleather
Escafusa

Re: Cost Estimate v. Final invoice

Post by Escafusa »

It depends partly on what was signed, if anything.

We're currently having 2 windows done. I've used the firm before. I've signed the offer, so I expect the final bill to be the same as the offer. On the other occasions it has been exactly the same amount. And by and large for other work we have had done, the bill has always been equivalent to the estimate or just very slightly over, on a couple of occasions it has has even been less because we did some preparation work and/or disposal of old material ourselves.

I've always thought that up to a 10% increase is considered acceptable, whether you've signed something or not. The increase you are talking about is totally ridiculous.
Franklan

Post by Franklan »

BGB §649:

Cost estimate

(1) If the contract is based on a cost estimate without the contractor guaranteeing the accuracy of the estimate and if it becomes apparent that the work cannot be carried out without substantially exceeding the estimate, then, if the customer terminates the contract for this reason, the contractor will be entitled only to the claim specified in section 645 (1).

(2) If such exceeding of the estimate is to be expected, then the contractor is to notify the customer without undue delay.

Did (2) happen, as in "I was informed about the increase during the work" or was it more like "once the job was done, they informed me about a price increase"?
Bayrisch_Dude

Post by Bayrisch_Dude »

Franklan wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm BGB §649:

Cost estimate

(1) If the contract is based on a cost estimate without the contractor guaranteeing the accuracy of the estimate and if it becomes apparent that the work cannot be carried out without substantially exceeding the estimate, then, if the customer terminates the contract for this reason, the contractor will be entitled only to the claim specified in section 645 (1).

(2) If such exceeding of the estimate is to be expected, then the contractor is to notify the customer without undue delay.

Did (2) happen, as in "I was informed about the increase during the work" or was it more like "once the job was done, they informed me about a price increase"?
Thanks Franklan. I signed nothing for this company. I received the estimate per email. After the cost breakdown, there is the statement, 'Alle Maße sind circa Maße und werden nach tatsächlichem Aufwand gerechnet. Regiestunden und Material werden nach tatsächlichem Aufwand abgerechnet.'

An argument could be made on how one defines 'substantially exceeding...' to me, 150% on labour is substantial!

There would have been no means to notify me, I would assume. The estimate states 10hours. The lad was here one day one for about 8 hours. Returned the next day for an additional 7. Seems a notification on time and costs were neither realistic nor known.

There is still the matter of what to me and a few others is unfinished work....and this is neither listed on the estimate nor the invoice. I'll need to have a wee chat with the owner's man about the above and finishing.
Shameful plug: visit my website www.lederwaren-allgaeu.de
Shameful plug Nr. 2: instagram - scottishknightleather
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

Oftentimes the bill is for more than the quote, but I had a car repaired once by a good welder/psychologist. The bill was lower than the quote 🙃
Erst der Spaß, dann das Vergnügen/first the fun, then the enjoyment
dstanners

Post by dstanners »

I think it is arguable whether the difference in hours, whilst significant in percentage terms, is really substantial overall. I would be more concerned by the fact that the job does not seem to have been finished, or at least not properly.

The work does not seem to have been done / finished to a standard reasonable to expect from a professional. From the sound of things, the top layer of tiles has been cut (itself, not really best practice in tiles ending half way up a wall - if the wall had been measured properly in advance, the "cut" row should not be in the main line of vision) and possibly placed on the wall with the cut edge at the top, rather than the smooth edge. This can be remedied, either quickly/bodge job (with a smooth layer of grout), or more neatly by putting a trim on the top layer (the trim should be fitted at the same time as the top layer, so that might need to be removed first).

My suggestion would be to ask the tradesman to come over, and show him the work as it stands. Then you can explain that not only has it taken longer, but that it has not been completed to the standard expected. That puts you in a stronger negotiating position. You can say that it isn't your practice to escalate all matters in a dispute, and that sometimes companies send staff who for some reason aren't as good as hoped, but that the work as left does not represent the standard he can genuinely consider as acceptable.

It wouldn't surprise me if he suggests he would be prepared to charge you the estimate price only, provided you paid in cash.
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

They way they bill if they are above board is all material down to the screws or nails plus their labour however long it took. That's why the estimate is never exactly the same as the final bill. However, you can complain if you think it's way above. I have and they lowered it.
murphaph

Post by murphaph »

Did the E-Mail say "Kostenvoranschlag" or "Angebot" at the top?