Fraufruit

Re: Lost passport about to travel...

Post by Fraufruit »

Definitely no reason to be shocked!
OK. You win.
kaffeemitmilch

Post by kaffeemitmilch »

I live directly on the German Swiss border and fly in/out of ZRH. They control everyone entering from outside of Schengen, as is required, whereas the folks at CDG don’t seem to care. That was my point.
I have been allowed into France after showing passport control just the cover of my passport.
WhyNot

Post by WhyNot »

sorry to jump in the topic.

we are travelling to Croatia and one of our friends (travelling with us by car) has a Niederlassungerlaubniss ofr Germany.
The issue is that she recently changed her legal name, has a passport with new name, but the NE is still not updated.

She has the marriage certificate and the document of the request to update her NE.

Although normally there are no border controls, they can still happen. Anyone knows if this is a problem ?
Nixon

Post by Nixon »

Maybe to take the old passport too, so if anybody asks about the new name she can show it?
WhyNot

Post by WhyNot »

thanks, need to check if she still has the old one. I guess they kept it/destroyed it once she got the new one.

But this would of course help with proof
Nixon

Post by Nixon »

Every time I renew my passport they punch a couple of holes in the old one and return it to me.
bethannbitt

Post by bethannbitt »

Nixon wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:45 pm Every time I renew my passport they punch a couple of holes in the old one and return it to me.
Yes. It works that way with US Passports. But it doesn’t necessarily work that way in other countries.
Krieg

Post by Krieg »

bethannbitt wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:09 pm
Nixon wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:45 pm Every time I renew my passport they punch a couple of holes in the old one and return it to me.
Yes. It works that way with US Passports. But it doesn’t necessarily work that way in other countries.
Yes. AFAIK most countries just stamp the main pages saying it is not valid anymore.

Anyway, I assume no ones destroys the old passport, all the visas in there are still valid.
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

Canada cuts the corner off. Iceland punches holes in it or they let you do it.
WhyNot

Post by WhyNot »

Guess they kept it... which I don't understand. For my wife, when she changed her legal name they also did a cut on the first page and she travelled with both passports as her NE was only on passport (she has now the card as well)

This is a friend, she wants to travel with us but is apprehensive if there will be any issues, I guess with all the paperwork should be okay, but I also do not want to leave her at the border :)
pappnase

Post by pappnase »

If you were going by air I would have suggested calling the airport/airline and asking them for advice, but since you are going by car, I would say just don't worry about it.
Croatia won't care in either direction about German residence permists.
Going into Croatia , Germany won't check. Coming back they will be able to check with the electronic systems if they have to.
Worst case this is going to be a hassle at the border, but you won't have to leave your friend.

That said it's easy for us to give random assurances, but surely the best solution is for your friend to sort this out by talking to their caseworker and asking what to do about it?
LukeSkywalker

Post by LukeSkywalker »

LeonG wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:32 pm Iceland punches holes in it or they let you do it.
Cool. You can punch your own holes in it. Dutch passports get holes in it as well. I keep it as souvenir since all my visas are kept there like Turkmenistan, Algeria, Nigeria, etc.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Before I got my Aufenthaltstitel card, I carried my old passport (with holes) with me to show my old Aufenthaltserlaubnis page. Once, I forgot it when we were driving over the Croatian border to go out to dinner. I had to go back to the marina and get it.

They scanned my new U.S. passport and saw that I resided in Germany and wanted to see my papers.

This was about 5 years ago on the border between Slovenia and Croatia.
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

LukeSkywalker wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:44 pm Cool. You can punch your own holes in it. Dutch passports get holes in it as well. I keep it as souvenir since all my visas are kept there like Turkmenistan, Algeria, Nigeria, etc.
Yeah, last time I renewed, I had to go to Berlin for the picture and fingerprints for the application. To save me going to Berlin again to pick it up and for them to punch the old one, they just asked me to punch the holes myself and send them a photo for them to mail me the new one.
LukeSkywalker

Post by LukeSkywalker »

I‘m lucky. The Dutch embassy from Berlin sends staff to Munich twice a year to have a pop-up consulate for 3-4 days. You can make an appointment for a new passport. The passport is then send by registered mail.
Franklan

Post by Franklan »

LukeSkywalker wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:49 pm I‘m lucky. The Dutch embassy from Berlin sends staff to Munich twice a year to have a pop-up consulate for 3-4 days. You can make an appointment for a new passport. The passport is then send by registered mail.
Hats off! That sounds like a decent service for the people of your nation!
Robinson100

Post by Robinson100 »

LukeSkywalker wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:49 pm I‘m lucky. The Dutch embassy from Berlin sends staff to Munich twice a year to have a pop-up consulate for 3-4 days. You can make an appointment for a new passport. The passport is then send by registered mail.
Wow!!! What a good idea!!!
Such a pity other nations don´t offer such a service!
bethannbitt

Post by bethannbitt »

Robinson100 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:19 pm
Wow!!! What a good idea!!!
Such a pity other nations don´t offer such a service!
I can renew my US passport completely by mail. I just have to fill out the application, enclose my photo and check, and send it to the US consulate in Frankfurt. And my new passport will be mailed directly to me, along with my old one with the punched holes. Couldn’t be easier. 🙏
LeonG

Post by LeonG »

bethannbitt wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:31 pm I can renew my US passport completely by mail. I just have to fill out the application, enclose my photo and check, and send it to the US consulate in Frankfurt. And my new passport will be mailed directly to me, along with my old one with the punched holes. Couldn’t be easier. 🙏
Same with Canada except you have to pay online and include the receipt with your application and they cut off a corner instead of punching holes. Iceland use to do mail renewals too until they added fingerprints.
WhyNot

Post by WhyNot »

Thank you for your replies.
I have the same experience as many of you. My country (EU) also didn't let me keep my passport when I renewed it, but I guess it was just a "special" worker.
My wife got her passport punctured and "cut" at the number/electronic page. then travelled with 2 passports.

This friend, maybe didn't think of it or had bad luck with the "beamter" and Auslanderbehörde in Stuttgart (as many around Germany) is impossible to reach.
She says she will travel with us though, with all the papers she can showing she has residency in Germany. We will not leave EU (Croatia now in EU as well)

Thank you!