Digital Exclusion part 1 The Euro soccer in Berlin

Anything that doesn't fit into the other subforums of Miscellaneous themes
colincostello

Digital Exclusion part 1 The Euro soccer in Berlin

Post by colincostello »

So I do not own a smart phone and I hope I never will. At nearly 70, I try to keep the world of technology at arms lenght.I was thinking about going to some of the soccer matches here in Berlin. In the summer the European Championships take place all over Germany. But when I looked into this ,
via the UEFA website, there are no paper tickets and entry is only via a smart phone with their app downloaded. A perfect example of digital exclusion. Guess I will just have to watch it down the pub. Or could I just turn up on the day and pay in cash at the ground?
Fraufruit

Re: Digital Exclusion part 1 The Euro soccer in Berlin

Post by Fraufruit »

I just googled UEFA tickets Berlin and this is the first hit of many-

https://www.gigsberg.com/sport-tickets/ ... how-99882
They offer mobile tickets and e-tickets for some matches.

I suppose some of the other sites do as well.
dstanners

Post by dstanners »

A few points to note. Firstly, the remaining tickets will go on sale in early May (there isn't a specific date yet), so you can't buy any today.
Generally, when they state e-tickets only, you still have the option of buying them online, and printing them out as a pdf at home.
Given how quickly all the tickets have gone so far, unless you are happy to pay a tout well over the odds, the chances of getting tickets on the day are as good as zero.
Which games are you thinking of?
I got none in the two ticket lotteries (I applied for all games in Cologne), but a friend got some tickets for Scotland v Switzerland, and has offered one to me and one of my kids - the only difficult thing was deciding which of those two teams to support.
Good luck.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Firstly, the remaining tickets will go on sale in early May (there isn't a specific date yet), so you can't buy any today.
The 2 sites I checked out both had tickets available today but are close to selling out. Berlin must be different.
colincostello

Post by colincostello »

When I checked out the UEFA website a few months ago , it clearly stated that printing out paper tickets was NOT an option, so I am not sure what dstanners is on about.
I was thinking of the early games when some tickets might be available. I would never use a tout. The risk of a forgery is just too high.
alma.freya

Post by alma.freya »

I do not have a smartphone. How can I get my tickets?

If you don't have a smartphone or your smartphone is not compatible with our app, you can use another smartphone to download the app and the mobile tickets, e.g.: the smartphone of a guest accompanying you to the match. You will just need to log into the app with your own email address.

Please bear in mind that there will be no print-at-home tickets, or paper tickets delivered at home.
https://support.tickets-mobiletickets.u ... my-tickets

Can I print my ticket?

Mobile tickets cannot be printed or downloaded as PDF. Please also note that you cannot use a screenshot of the ticket to enter the stadium.
At the entrance of the stadium, you will need to open the UEFA Mobile Tickets app and show your ticket in the app.
https://support.tickets-mobiletickets.u ... -my-ticket
How to Buy Euro 2024 Tickets
Tickets for the UEFA European Football Championship 2024 should be purchased only through the official UEFA website or national football associations' websites (see below). There are serious risks associated with buying tickets on third-party websites, including fraud and overpricing.
https://www.evz.de/en/euro-2024-tickets ... rmany.html

It's still not clear to me if there is an alternative to mobile tickets that CAN be printed or bought on the day. However as it isn't explicitally mentioned anywhere I can only assume there is no alternative.
dstanners

Post by dstanners »

Ok, so I checked the UEFA site, and it is sadly correct that you can't print off the tickets from a laptop...something I have been doing to other venues after the site says it is "e-ticket only" (had this at 1FC Köln a few weeks ago). The website does have a specific answer to your question though....but I'm afraid it's not very helpful: take a friend who has a smartphone. So, which games are you going to? Perhaps someone on this site, who has a smartphone, might be going too.

The full answer:
"I do not have a smartphone. How can I get my tickets?
If you don't have a smartphone or your smartphone is not compatible with our app, you can use another smartphone to download the app and the mobile tickets, e.g.: the smartphone of a guest accompanying you to the match. You will just need to log into the app with your own email address.
Please bear in mind that there will be no print-at-home tickets, or paper tickets delivered at home."
source: https://support.tickets-mobiletickets.u ... my-tickets
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Please disregard my links/advice in case they are touts and illegal. I didn't realize such a thing but it makes sense.
Krieg

Post by Krieg »

Borrow an old Smartphone from a friend for that day? Get a free one from the multiple online groups that give old things away and then give it away after the game? Go with a friend that has an smartphone and after his ticket is scanned he can logout from the app and you can login with your email?

But I have the feeling you are not willing to use an smartphone at all out of your principles or something like that, so I guess the thread is for venting and not for finding solutions.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

A lot of organistions force people to have their phones with them, for example to show a Bahncard.

I like to leave the stupid phone at home! Besides, there are many people who do not want to or can not use a smartphone.

But I do not want to attend a football game either 🙃
Erst der Spaß, dann das Vergnügen/first the fun, then the enjoyment
colincostello

Post by colincostello »

Wow , lots of interesting replies. Several suggestions about using a friends smart phone. This does not feel good to me. It feels somehow sneaky and untoward. Cowardly even.
alma.freya

Post by alma.freya »

colincostello wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:56 am Wow , lots of interesting replies. Several suggestions about using a friends smart phone. This does not feel good to me. It feels somehow sneaky and untoward. Cowardly even.
It's recommended on the official UEFA website.

That is a very interesting view. Would you consider a friend cowardly if they used someone else's smartphone to access their mobile ticket?
Krieg

Post by Krieg »

How is that cowardly? If I have no computer and go to the library to use their computers there or I use a friend's computer is that cowardly? I am confused.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Sharing is caring.
Fietsrad

Post by Fietsrad »

I leave my smartphone at home.

If I took it to a football match it could get damaged, lost or stolen. But if everybody has one, why would someone steal it?🤔

The smartphone compulsion reminds me of 1984. Besides, as a dual citizen I do not know which side to support
Erst der Spaß, dann das Vergnügen/first the fun, then the enjoyment
snowingagain

Post by snowingagain »

Krieg wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:40 pm How is that cowardly? If I have no computer and go to the library to use their computers there or I use a friend's computer is that cowardly? I am confused.
I guess (perhaps) by "cowardly" Colin means caving in to new tech being compulsory, though it stretches the meaning of the word a little. I do hope he is not planning self-immolation outside a stadium. However, are there other ways to prevent ticket touts and fraud?
JanxSpirit

Post by JanxSpirit »

So by extension carrying photo ID is also caving into technology, albeit a little older :lol:
LukeSkywalker

Post by LukeSkywalker »

Reminds me of Euro2004 in Portugal. We had paper tickets to some games, but not for the semi-final The Netherlands- Portugal. We bought 3 tickets from a Romanian mafioso for €800 cash in the street. He had two women with him, marihuana and a bodyguard. He could arrange anything we want he said. I told him we just want tickets, nothing else. The ATM only had €20 notes, so I had a big bunch of notes. I counted it in front of him 3 times. He was not good at maths. Then he said it‘s OK and we drink beer together. I must pay.

The tickets had no names on it. Just Adidas as sponsor. We got in the stadium without problem.
snowingagain

Post by snowingagain »

JanxSpirit wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:23 pm So by extension carrying photo ID is also caving into technology, albeit a little older :lol:
A German Ausweiss is hardly "technology" they have a long history. Atm costs about 38 euro for 10 years. Multiple functions, including passport within EU. A smartphone costs much more. So insisting on one to attend a football match could be viewed as restrictive.
colincostello

Post by colincostello »

By cowradly , I meant myself. As I do not own a smart phone myself , it just does not seem right to ponce of someone else. In that case , I may as well get one myself. Perich that though!