john g. is in hospital - call him on Skype at john.gunn3 to alleviate his boredom!

Anything that doesn't fit into the other subforums of Miscellaneous themes
PandaMunich

john g. is in hospital - call him on Skype at john.gunn3 to alleviate his boredom!

Post by PandaMunich »

A client told me that John is in hospital, so I skyped him at john.gunn3

Here's what happened, he and "his Nicole" were out walking the dogs, when apparently he lost consciousness, fell over backwards and hit his head on the pavement.
But it wouldn't be John if it had been that simple.

As the doctor later told him, he managed to have - all at the same time - a trifecta of:
  1. a serious heart attack,
  2. a stroke and
  3. a concussion (yes, well, that's what you get when you hit your head on the pavement)
They even had to resuscitate him (the lady doctor who brought him back came round the next day and introduced herself) - and he's still the same!
No slurring of his speech, no sign at all of any of the above conditions, any one of which could have done him in.
Well, most probably would have done in a normal person.
But our John just is in a class of his own:
  • he looks the same (though in my opinion he could do with some fattening up. Yes, I know he is very proud of his svelte silhouette, but a few pounds more wouldn't be amiss, especially when being faced with having to live off smuggled in food, like he is now) and
  • he sounds the same, bantering and playfully changing between languages (English with me, German with the nurse bringing dinner, French with another nurse and he speaks Spanish with his daughter).
Talk about a medical miracle!

It was actually dinner time at the hospital, they have it at an unconscionably early time, at half past five.
And there John was talking in German, refusing the hospital food (which is actually a good idea, German hospital food is that bad,
it's a running gag) and just asking the nurse for a cup of tea.
No idea how the tea is in Hamburg, it may be stronger than here in the south, but it very probably won't have been a proper British cuppa.
Foodwise, his Nicole will smuggle in something edible later on.

He is stuck in the hospital until they put in a pacemaker, which they say may happen as early as Friday, which would mean that he would be sprung on Sunday.

You know what his association about the word pacemaker was?
A Liverpudlian band from the 1960ies called "Gerry and the Pacemakers", a band he listened to in his youth.
Told me that one of their songs is sung by fans of the football club Borussia Dortmund (yup, true, googled it): https://www.bvb.de/Aktionen/Liederbuch
I had to admit to having no idea about football, just that Bayern München always ends up Meister.
Dear me, did I put my foot in there!
John immediately informed me that Bayern just lost (despite Harry Kane doing his best and having scored over 30 goals for them) against Bayer Leverkusen, and that they will end up Meister this year.

Back to the pacemaker, I have my own theory why they didn't put in that pacemaker right away:
They are studying him to find out how someone can survive these 3 conditions, actually be dead in between and still wake up the very same person, as if nothing had happened ;)

Though being in a German hospital for over a week should come with its own health warning.
But at least he's had enough experience with them to know to refuse the food and instead have Nicole smuggle in real, fresh food, i.e. food that actually contains vitamins!

****************************************************************************************************

To stave off the boredom from being stuck in that hospital, John would welcome people skyping him at john.gunn3
He has his iPhone with him and after the Hamburg doctors worked their magic on the eye that the doctors in Crete had given up on, he can actually see and use that iPhone, so there is no impediment to video calls, he's a pro at them!
I asked him when people should call, and he said that between 9am and 11am and again in the afternoon between 2pm and 4pm would be ideal.

So call him and view the medical miracle of John yourself!
And share a laugh with him.
He is just as entertaining as always :D
Last edited by PandaMunich on Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
Fraufruit

Re: john g. is in hospital - call him on Skype at john.gunn3 to alleviate his boredom!

Post by Fraufruit »

Thanks so much for filling us ín, Panda!

I don't have Skype but I do wish him all the best.
editorL
Site Admin

Re: john g. is in hospital - call him on Skype at john.gunn3 to alleviate his boredom!

Post by editorL »

Alternative for Skype is "pending", give TPTB a few minutes...
Metall

Post by Metall »

Oh shoot!

Will call John first thing tomorrow!
Robinson100

Post by Robinson100 »

OMG!
Absolutely amazing that he is still himself, or indeed with us!!!

If only I knew how to Skype, I would most definitely get in touch - hospitals can be incredibly boring if you are feeling okay!

Anyways, please give my love and best wishes to John, and also to Nicole, who will have had the shock of her life, poor thing.
bramble

Post by bramble »

Oh dear. Shocked to hear we nearly lost him. Great to hear he's survived and is still his silly self. Will have to call him Wonder Boy from now on. Best wishes, John, and Gute Besserung. Hope to see you posting here soon.
Sannerl

Post by Sannerl »

Fraufruit wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:37 pm Thanks so much for filling us ín, Panda!

I don't have Skype but I do wish him all the best.
I second that!
MadAxeMurderer

Post by MadAxeMurderer »

I've just resurrected my skype and pinged him
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

Do you know if he will be logging in here now that his eyesight is better?
Metall

Post by Metall »

His eyesight already was better last year, but he was busy retiring. That’s why he posted here at all
Metall

Post by Metall »

I called John on Skype, left a message (“Don’t you dare die on me!”), will call again.

If you guys compile a list of messages or even just names (can be via PM if you prefer), I’ll pass them on.
Will read him the ones already posted here.
Last edited by Metall on Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Metall

Post by Metall »

Have just talked to John G on Skype and read him all the messages for him on this thread and some received by text/SMS.
He was very happy.

John said in his own silly way:
“From the bottom of my heart… oh dear, should I even say heart or choose another word… *ahem* I would like to thank everyone on new TT for their good wishes and messages and hello from me! Am walking and talking, eating the lovely food Panda ordered for me! And will be a grandfather yet again in July!”
bethannbitt

Post by bethannbitt »

Metall wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:26 pm Have just talked to John G on Skype and read him all the messages for him on this thread and some received by text/SMS.
He was very happy.

John said in his own silly way:
“From the bottom of my heart… oh dear, should I even say heart or choose another word… *ahem* I would like to thank everyone on new TT for their good wishes and messages and hello from me! Am walking and talking, eating the lovely food Panda ordered for me! And will be a grandfather yet again in July!”
Thank you for doing that. It was very kind of you.
Metall

Post by Metall »

Have forwarded the messages received by PM, John replied with 👻👍👍👍 !

His pacemaker is delayed until Monday to heal an unrelated infection, but he looked pretty good on Skype. IMHO Panda’s food deliveries have made him fill out a bit. 😋
Metall

Post by Metall »

bethannbitt wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:38 pm Thank you for doing that.
I’m sure others are calling him,too, am just the mail lady. Many thanks to Panda for making the man eat!
PandaMunich

Post by PandaMunich »

Metall wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:46 pm Many thanks to Panda for making the man eat!
Well, I threatened to send him something regardless.
Faced with that, he saw the wisdom of getting something he actually likes ;-)
JanxSpirit

Post by JanxSpirit »

All the best to John and lots of get well soons :)
Metall

Post by Metall »

Because I am morbidly curious, I asked John if he had had a near death experience - he said he simply blacked out. Then he looked thoughtful and remembered someone smiling at him.

I got somewhat excited.

John added:“But I think it was a nurse!“

(For his sake I hope a pretty one.)

I’ll take my coat. 😆
Franklan

Post by Franklan »

editorL wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:39 pm Alternative for Skype is "pending", give TPTB a few minutes...
OK, here is what needs to be conveyed:

The server that runs the forum ("hTTi") is also a Video Conference Server, editorL just informed me about that.
It is based on a free conference software called "Jitsi". Works really great, I just checked that out.

Now the good thing: I managed to get through to John G., and he managed to install the Jitsi-App on his phone.
Teaching an old dog new tricks comes to mind... :-)

I just had a test chat with John G. It works just fine.

So,
1.) If you use a PC (or a Laptop or a Mac) with a browser: Just open the following link (You will be asked to allow access to the microphone and the camera, of course).
2.) If you use a mobile phone (Android based or that fruit company): Open that link and follow the suggestion to install the jitsi app. Trust me, this is a legit app.

Now, all you have to do is contact John G, arrange an appointment at a specific time, and open the following link at that time.

https://meet.toytown.ing/JohnGHospitalBoringBoringBoring

Let's entertain that old bugger... :-)

Cheers
Franklan
JN53

Post by JN53 »

I also do hope that John will get well soon. If he is really bored, maybe I could call him, although I assume there are many others that know him better than I do. I have always enjoyed his stories/posts. Thanks John for all your stories and posts and sometimes info that I have found very useful!