What to do when a parent is in critical condition in hospital…

Anything that doesn't fit into the other subforums of German legalese, paper work, red tape
pappnase

Re: What to do when a parent is in critical condition in hospital…

Post by pappnase »

Hi Emkay,
First let me say how sorry I am that you are having to go through this. Then on to the practical stuff, which sadly is going to have to consider the possibility that your mum won't recover at all.

Regarding access to the house:-
If you have keys you have control, change the locks to make sure you are the only one with that control. Unless your mum has written anything down, no-one will be able to challenge that until she wakes up and the Doctors consider her competent.
Make the place clean and safe, then stop worrying about it for now. Deal with it later when you are in a better state of mind, or the legal situation is clearer.

Since you also have full control of the bank account, make sure you download regular bank-statements and can account for any money that goes in or out, then if at some point in the future you are accused of some impropriety you have a record of what went on.

Once your mum is out of hospital, then either she will be OK and you can hand things back to her in good order, or she won't and you can deal with wills and estates which although emotionally much more demanding, are somewhat clearer from a legal perspective.
Robinson100

Post by Robinson100 »

Em, please stop panicking!
Everything is okay!
You now have the key that your Mother wanted you to have - no big deal, right?

Glad to hear that the house is nice and tidy, and well done for emptying out the fridge.

I think this really is a time when you need to "be kind" to yourself - if you want to eat ice cream instead of a cooked meal, then do so!
A bar of chocolate? yeah, why not?
Whatever makes YOU feel good goes! (unless it´s illegal, of course ;) )

Sometimes I wish there were a guidebook for stuff like this - what you should feel and when, what you should do and when, that sort of stuff
- wouldn´t it make life a lot easier?!!!

Okay, so there isn´t, so just get on and do what you consider to be the right thing, and unless your Mother wakes up and complains about it, you will have done a perfect job!
Emkay

Post by Emkay »

Many thanks for your replies. I have started to stop panicking thankfully. I phoned a lawyer yesterday to clear up the situation of me entering her house to make sure all is fine.

In principle, I don’t have a right to enter her house unless I have a power of attorney (vollmacht) to do so. The only person/persons it could bother though would be any other stated in her will. His example was that Frau X could accuse me of removing 10kg of gold, cash etc. There’s no way of finding out if there is another person/persons unless my mother passes. He said that when he has to enter a property after a person dies, he videos this and takes another person with him as a witness. In this case, this would be pointless.

He suggested I apply to be legal guardian at the local Amtsgericht. This can take a few weeks. In the meantime, I should just go ahead and check the house regularly. I shouldn’t really change the locks until I have formal guardianship. The fact that I already have POA for my mother’s bank accounts speaks volumes. She did this long before her husband’s death as she didn’t trust him.

I only just remembered that my mother gave me documents for safe keeping before I moved to DE. I just found them. A copy of the bank POA and a will type document. I say type of document as it seems to basically confirm her husband relinquishing any Pflichtteil of her estate. I am noted as her only beneficiary. I’ve no idea if she’s changed her will since.

In terms of sensible things to do, I’ll unplug everything other than the freezer. The electrics and the heating are very old….I won’t change anything with the heating yet as frost has started here. Reluctant to use light timer switches. I also thought to put my contact details in obvious places. Inside appliances too in case of, God forbid, fire.

Today, I’ll start being kinder to myself….autumn gardening and forest walk. Huge thanks for all your moral support.
Fraufruit

Post by Fraufruit »

You seem to have all the bases covered and you're doing a great job.

Make sure you know what being her guardian entails before signing anything.

Any idea why it is taking so long for her to get an MRI?
Emkay

Post by Emkay »

Fraufruit wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 10:57 am You seem to have all the bases covered and you're doing a great job.

Make sure you know what being her guardian entails before signing anything.

Any idea why it is taking so long for her to get an MRI?
Thank you Fraufruit. I won’t sign anything until I understand more about it. I think the delay has to do with leaving time for my mother to wake up herself now she’s not on the coma inducing medication. It’s taking much longer than they anticipated. CT’s can’t have shown evidence of a stroke so the next step is MRI to check for anything else.
Emkay

Post by Emkay »

We spoke to a doctor yesterday and were told that a gesetzlicher Betreuer has been engaged due to my mother‘s worsening condition. Now dialysis is necessary. It was difficult to understand the doctor over the phone though I think she said that a decision between life and death needs to be made. We have a meeting with a doctor today as they would like to know if I’m aware of any of my mother’s wishes. All I know is that she’d like to die at home and never have to go to a care home. A very sad day ahead…
pappnase

Post by pappnase »

Be brave, stay strong. This is going to be hard.
If you do find yourself at a bedside making that so-hard end of life decision, then something I read recently struck a chord with me and you might find helpful.

It is a privilege to be present when someone dies. If only I’d seen it that way, it would have helped me no end
Emkay

Post by Emkay »

Thank you pappnase….nice perspective.